Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

With XP going, should I go with Win7 or 8?

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I still like my old desktop with XP for making slideshows with a program I use. However, it looks like I will have to learn to use a new system since Microsoft is dropping XP, like it or not.

So I am shopping for a new computer, and the question is, do I go with Windows 7 or Windows 8? I still want a desktop computer, I already have a laptop. I was told by one salesman I would not like 8 as well as 7, but I hesitate to invest in a new computer, and then have it be obsolete sooner.

I have 7 on my laptop, and it is just ok. Don't love it for downloading pics off my camera, XP was easier IMO. So I wondered if Win 8 had any things that weren't very friendly either? Would appreciate any input. thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello bettei

Not very good for any salesman to advise you not to go with Windows 8, I have used W8 from the pre release stage and I like it, at the same time I won`t knock Windows 7 but you already have identified the need to move on and Windows 9 is apparently not too far away, see here something else for you to look over here a way back to 7 if you don`t like 8/8.1

Apart from downloading pictures what will be the main use of the computer.

NB: I moved your topic here as it is more an upgrade question as opposed to an OS issue.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Thanks for your reply, it certainly gives me a lot to think about. Just started looking, and there does not seem to be a lot of choice when you are looking for desktops. Or else I am looking in the wrong place!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apart from downloading pictures what will be the main use of the computer

Let us know the answer to the above and we see what we can find for you.

You are welcome btw :)

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I like to make slideshows with music, and was told by the makers of my slideshow program (ProShow Gold) to get one with good memory and a good graphics card. So that means a lot of picture storage and downloaded music files too that I keep on my computer. So I assume I would want as much memory as I can get for the money. Otherwise, it is for checking email and Facebook games. lol

But they didn't give me any information other than that. I have no idea what figure I should be looking at in regards to memory, it's Greek to me. They also said gaming computers work well.

Right now my old computer has dual core processors, it is a Media Center Edition of XP. And while it runs the original edition of ProShow just fine, I was not able to run the latest upgrade of ProShow. The last upgrade caused my computer to shut down, so I reverted back to the original one. They told me the graphics card most likely was not large enough for the upgrade. Again, Greek to me.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I would like to have some figures written down when I go shopping, it can get confusing. I live in the US, and want to stay around $600 to $900 budget? Not sure on that.

Edited by bettei, 05 March 2014 - 03:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
An example of the sort of specifications and brand name to consider, here

System requirements for ProShow Gold

I will have another look for bargains later when I have finished work for the day.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I was looking at his one, http://www.bestbuy.c... 214&cp=1&lp=2. They have two Envy models I was interested in. I don't really see the difference between #700-214, and # 700-074. I hope they have front USB ports, you can't tell by the picture.

Thanks!

Edited by bettei, 06 March 2014 - 10:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If you decide to purchase one of the HP Envy computers I suggest that you save yourself $34 and go for this one, the difference between the two is the speed of the processor 3.1GHz as opposed to the less expensive PC that has a 3.0GHz CPU, look at the Best Buy Ratings and Reviews tab and you will note the difference in the amount of people that have purchased the less expensive computer and provided feedback on it.

Regarding the front USB ports, I checked the specs at your link and both computers have the following;
USB 2.0 Ports 4 USB 3.0 (2 top, 2 rear); 6 USB 2.0 (4 front, 2 rear)

Just in case you are not aware, both computers use the integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4600 and not a dedicated add on video card, this should be fine for your intended use and I have mentioned the fact for no other reason than to ensure that we have covered all bases (fitting an add on video card later will cost upwards of $100 for a half decent card + a power supply upgrade may be required).

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
The reason I was looking at HP is because that is the brand of my old one. It might very well be that there are better ones out there for the price, just don't know anything about them. What I didn't care for is that they always come with bundled software, you never get your own installation disks of Windows, etc.

I was also told that Intel makes better processors, and to stay away from Dell computers. So that is why I was leaning toward HP. If you think there are better computers out there for the money, I would appreciate your opinion. Oh, and as for a graphics card...I take it that while this one is adequate, you think there are better ones? I'd like to buy a computer that I don't have to worry about adding things on to.

Thanks!

Edited by bettei, 07 March 2014 - 08:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The reason I was looking at HP is because that is the brand of my old one.

Which must have served you well or you would not consider purchasing a new HP, that = +1

It might very well be that there are better ones out there for the price

Swings and roundabouts, the ASUS that I provided the link to for example is better value for money by having the 4GB dedicated video card which is more than adequate for your slideshows and picture library etc, the one small advantage that the two HP Envy computers have is the built in Wi-Fi capability, this could be soon remedied by adding a wireless USB adapter to the ASUS such as this example here, you can get them for less cash but the Rosewill is Windows 8 certified.

What I didn't care for is that they always come with bundled software, you never get your own installation disks of Windows, etc.

Standard practice** for OEM (original equipment manufacturers) as they have a volume licence agreement with Microsoft, they get the OS for a lesser amount and then pass some of the savings on to the end user albeit - a full retail Windows OS disk, in case you are not already aware of how an OEM OS licence works, if you were to have problems with your Windows installation it is the manufacturer of the computer that is responsible for providing support and not Microsoft.

I was also told that Intel makes better processors

That is a matter of opinion and somewhat of a long standing debate the world over (FWIW, I have not had an AMD CPU since the 1990`s so there is no bias on my behalf).

If you think there are better computers out there for the money, I would appreciate your opinion. Oh, and as for a graphics card...I take it that while this one is adequate, you think there are better ones? I'd like to buy a computer that I don't have to worry about adding things on to.

The ASUS and the wireless adapter at the moment.

** OEM brands such as ASUS, Dell and HP etc strongly recommend that if a re-installation disk is not bundled with your new computer that you create your own back up media as a priority.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Thank you for your time. I have some deciding to do.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thank you for your time. I have some deciding to do.

Indeed and to hopefully help you along please keep in mind the following;

An i5 processor would be sufficient for your intended use but the notebooks that you are considering all have an i7 CPU and so you cannot change that.
8GB of 1600MHz Ram will meet your needs but choose a notebook that can be upgraded to 16GB minimum.
An SSD is very good for your OS and faster boot times and should not be considered as a large storage device, a 128GB SSD is ample for this.
Having 4GB of VRam is beneficial but keep in mind that you will not get the same graphics power as you would from a desktop add on video card and this is due to the limited power supply that is available from a notebook battery and/or the AC adaptor.
Video chips and add on video cards generate a substantial amount of heat, to protect any potential new purchase consider the acquisition of a quality fan powered cooling pad.