Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inspiron 1545 cannot detect SSD

• Please log in to reply

scmcint2

scmcint2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 notebook that came with a 5400 RPM HDD (Toshiba or whatever), so I decided to replace it with a Verbatim 3SSD240 drive. All well and good, swapped the drives, re-installed Win7, humming along great until all of sudden, the SSD is not detected in the BIOS anymore. Tried re-seating the drive, etc, to no avail. Went back to the copy of Windows on the OEM drive. Verbatim shipped replacement drive, and I tried putting the ORIGINAL SSD back in, and it worked for a bit, so I got my data off. I've now put the REPLACEMENT SSD in the machine, reinstalled Win7, and have been using it for a few days, and now the BIOS can't see the other SSD either. I'm at my wit's end, any thoughts ?

Edited by scmcint2, 06 March 2014 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: scmcint2

As an outside chance that it may help it is worth checking that AHCI is enabled in the BIOS as opposed to IDE, it is an article by Crucial but it offers some valuable information, details here

If Windows was installed in IDE mode you may get an error on reboot after switching to ACHI and the information for correcting this is provided by Microsoft here

Let us know how it goes.