Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Moving files on an XP pc

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

If I open My Computer once to show a particular folder on my C:drive and then open another My Computer screen to display a particular folder on my E: drive and then drag the C:\folder to the E:\folder, will ALL the subfolders and ALL the files of the C:\ folder be copied to the E:\ folder? I want to be sure I am not losing any files in the process.

Thank you. .... batpark

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,568 posts
Hello again :)

When you move a directory from one partition to another, it will be moved along with other subdirectories and the whole content. It will be done recursively.

Cheers,
Naat :)

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

If I open My Computer once to show a particular folder on my C:drive and then open another My Computer screen to display a particular folder on my E: drive and then drag the C:\folder to the E:\folder, will ALL the subfolders and ALL the files of the C:\ folder be copied to the E:\ folder? I want to be sure I am not losing any files in the process.

Thank you. .... batpark

If you just drag the folder, it will be moved from C to E, (complete with all contents as answered above). If you hold down the CTRL button while dragging, the folder will be copied to E but will also remain in C, resulting in the same folder in two places.
If E is a stick drive or an external hard drive, this is a good way to back up important data, assuming the backup copy is protected.

Edited by TooNew2, 18 March 2014 - 06:42 PM.