Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer hanging up, files on drive C will not delete etc [Sol

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

I'm sleeping now! :lol: You just think I'm answering you.

Advertisements

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Did not realise that I was talking to a "virtual" helper

The disc cleanup hung on the Temp files, I left it for an hour, when I came back the box had disappeared, so I could not complete this section. (Ran it twice just to make sure)

Seems to be an ongoing problem with the Temp files ?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Hi,

Yeah, I don't know what it is with the TEMP files and this machine. I want you to go back to the instructions for clearing the old restore points.
Complete 1-6. The Disk Cleanup window will open:
554d1232211527t-disk-cleanup-all_files_m

If you can't already see Temporary files in the list, I want you to scroll down until you see Temporary files in the list. There will be a number to the right, XXX bytes. This represents the ammount the amount of disk space the Temp files are occupying. Taks a screen shot of the Disk Cleanup screen and post it in your next reply.

Capture a Screen Shot

• When you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key. This will put the screen shot in the clipboard.
  • Click on Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> Paint. A Paint window will open up.
  • Left click in the white area  and press the CTRL + V keys. This will paste the screen shot from the clipboard into the Paint window.
  • On the Menu bar at the top of the Paint window, click on File, click on Save and save it to your desktop.
  • In the File Name box, name it something related to the screen your capturing.
  • In the Save as type: box, BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload.

Upload a file or Screen Shot and put it in a post:

• Click the More Reply Options button below the post editor box. That will load the Full Editor.
    • Type or copy and past any text you need in the post. When you get to the point where you want to attach a file:
  • Scroll down and click the Browse... button. A new window will open where you can browse your computer for the file to upload..

a. Select the file. This will put the file in the File Name box on the File Upload window.
    b. Click Open. The File Upload window will close and the file name will be put next to the Browse... button in the forum post.

• Click the Attach This File button. This will open a new box with the file in it .
  • Under the file name you will see Add to Post | Delete
  • Click on Add to Post. This will attach the file to the post.
  • Once you have completed your post and are ready to submit it, click the Add Reply button.

Some screen shots of the process can be seen here

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Hi,

Still plodding on with the clearup.

It took 3h 30min to clear the Temp Internet files. Do not understand that , they are supposed to be deleted regularly  after 3 days.

Lets see what today brings

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

At least it finally cleared them. This can happen for various reasons. The browser settings may have gotten removed. Or the browser may not have saved the settings. You might want to go into the IE settings and make sure that the Temp files are set to be cleared. I have my browser set to clear Temp files an the cache every time it closes.
This is probably the reason it was taking OTL and TFC so long that we thought it was hung on emptying the temp files.
Let me know when you are finished.

Geekimnot

Geekimnot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Hi,

All tasks completed.

Would still like to find another backup program, not too happy with Nero.

Anyway many, many, thanks for all of the time and effort that you have put in to cleanimg up my problems.

I will toast you with a beer tonight

Goodbye godawgs if I get any further malware problems I will PM you if that is OK

:wave:

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

You are more than welcome. If you need us in the future just give us, or me, a shout. For the backup program, you may want to open a post in the Vista/7 Operating systems forum and ask that question there. Be sure to tell them that you are running the business version of Vista. And please tell your friends about us. :wave:

Regards,

godawgs

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.