Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random screen freezing on XP

• Please log in to reply

arclight

arclight

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hi

Lately i have been getting random screen freezing on my PC. It happened last weekend then i updated Java,my browsers,ran a few scans with AVG, + MBAM and deleted a few items as a result.

For 4 days everything was fine but today and Yesterday the screen froze again.Not sure what is causing it as it happens randomly and not when using a particular program.

With MBAM a few items were found and removed it the attached log.I also had a program called mediaview installed from the link below.

http://www.herdprote...6d3bca636e.aspx

I uninstalled this with revo as it did not come up on AVG or MBAM at the time.

Using XP SP3 with an Athlon Xp processor.

Thx in advance for any help

Edit

OTL log removed on transfer to XP forum.

Attached Files

Edited by emeraldnzl, 15 March 2014 - 03:47 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Topic moved from Malware Forum because of likelyhood that memory and lack of free space are the real issues involved here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hello arclight

We could do with some system information so download and run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

emeraldnzl has mentioned the memory and lack of free storage space on the HDD as causes of the issue, AVG is a hog on system resources so consider uninstalling it and using Avast or MSE, both provide very good protection, are light on resources and available for free, we will take a look at your specs first though.

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hi

Thx for the help,here is the speccy link

http://speccy.pirifo...FvlGnszVUgMAQss

I also made some more space in both hard drives, should i focus on making space in the C drive though which runs windows as the other is just for storage?

Regards

Edited by arclight, 16 March 2014 - 01:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hello arclight

Making free space available on the C: drive should be done as a priority as there is a serious risk of XP becoming corrupted by having important files deleted/overwritten.

You have two AV programmes running this is a bad idea as they are not only taking up room on your HDD which you can ill afford but the two will conflict with each other which will not only slow down your computer but also leave you vulnerable to malware attack, Avira is very good and lighter on resources than AVG so keep Avira and uninstall AVG following the correct procedure, details here

Next you should back up to another source anything you wish to keep on the C: drive and then delete/uninstall it from the C: drive, for such a small capacity hard drive I would have nothing on it but XP, which you do need to fully update once you have the space available.

Finally back up or delete data on your USB HDD to free up as much space as possible and upgrade your Ram to whatever you can to improve system performance.

I will mention that the +5V rail on your PSU is reading as low so we should take a look at that once you have addressed the above.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I missed responding to this one like I promised but Phill has a great handle on it so I will just be a spectator on this one. Thanks Phill and Emeraldnlz :thumbsup:

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I have been looking and i can't find any Avira programs running, i had it installed a while ago but uninstalled it.

I used Revo uninstaller and it didn't find it and its not listed add/remove programs

I 'm currently backing up data from the drives but need to get some more DVD RW discs so it will take me a few more days for these to arrive in the post to complete the backing up

As for RAM i want to double check if this is suitable before ordering

http://www.crucial.c...7N400-L&Cat=RAM

My motherboard is the model in the link according to Aida32

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Avira is still listed in Speccy + it is showing that it is up to date, you have said it is not present in Add/Remove programs so you need to download and run the Avira registry cleaner from here

Next you should uninstall AVG using the steps that are detailed here

Then either reinstall Avira or Avast free which is available from here

Did you run the Crucial System Scanner to get the Ram suggested in your link, Crucial System Scanner tool here

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
I would recommend Avast.

Avira is an excellent AV but unless things have changed the free version comes with foistware (the Ask toolbar and browser search engine). They can't be removed without damaging Avira. Not the best situation.

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
The crucial scan couldn't determine an exact match when i ran it so it asked me to input the model number and manufacturer.

I wasn't sure of these since my mobo was installed years ago so i used Aida32.

I downloaded and ran the avira registry cleaner. It found a number of files which i deleted.After a reboot however on speccy Avira is still listed as an AV.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Re-run the Avira cleaner and then run Speccy again and see if the remnants have gone.

We cannot confirm that the Ram is correct without you posting your MB details, including any revision numer (rev 1.0 for example).

Thanks for the Avira information emeraldnzl :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
May I suggest CPUz to get the motherboard info.

Please download CPUz from my signature below

[1:] Save it to your desktop.
[2:] Click on the icon it creates and let it run
[3:] I need the following information from it.
[4:] First click on the Mainboard tab at the top of the window and give me Manufacturer and Model number it shows
[5:] Click on the Memory tab and give me the Type and Size of memory it shows.
[6:] Click on the SPD tab and get me the Max Bandwidth line information.
Please include in your next reply

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Hi  phillpower2

I ran the Avira registry cleaner again and no files were found.

Speccy still shows remnants though, heres the latest snapshot as of now

http://speccy.pirifo...oacQkTdOy8uK0sD

Hi rshaffer61, heres the info you requested .

Manufacturer:Gigabyte Technology

Model number:nVidia-nForce2

Chipset(if needed)

Northbridge NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 rev. C1
Southbridge NVIDIA nForce2 MCP rev. A4

Memory type DDR
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

nVidia-nForce2 is the chipset so you may need to do a physical check to get the MB details that we need  :(

We could do with sticking to addressing one thing at a time and at the moment sorting out the AV should be done first as there is a possibility that your computer is not secure, the traces of Avira and AVG may be conflicting and leaving you with no protection at all.

You may need to do a bit of swapping and changing here but hopefully not, AVG is a hog on resources and so should go in any event but by getting rid of it first you may find that running the Avira registry cleaner again will get rid of the stray files, if not you will need to try the long winded way below;

Try uninstalling AVG, removal procedure here

Download and install Avira from here and then try uninstalling it using the following steps; (this to see if the fresh install removes the old files)

• Click on: Start → Settings → Control Panel → Add or Remove Programs
  • Search the Avira product and click on Remove
  • Confirm the following product uninstall notification with Yes
  • Confirm the activation of the Windows Firewall with Yes
  • The Avira Setup will take some minutes to uninstall the product
  • Confirm the notification to restart your system with Yes
  • After the reboot of your PC the Avira product is completely removed

Install Avast free from here

Let us know how it goes.

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Thx

Will update tomorrow or sooner with the results depending on whether a AVG uninstall works or whether i have to do it  the long way