Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random screen freezing on XP

• Please log in to reply

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

I'll try installing Avast in safe mode and see if thats makes a difference.

Edited by arclight, 02 April 2014 - 09:33 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Tried to install Avast a few times in safe mode but got an error

Apparently it can't be installed in safe mode after checking their forums

I am going to try installing an earlier version of Avast to see if the error is gone

If this doesn't work i'll install another anti virus

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

After many different version i got Avast installed

Version 7 from old apps  

http://www.oldapps.c...ownload-section

version 8 had the exact same issues as 9 as described above

updated to latest definition and had a quick scan,nothing found

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad to hear that you got Avast installed and a job well done there  :thumbsup:

You just need the Ram upgrade now and you are all good, finding 2.5V Ram that is less expensive is proving to be rather difficult  :(

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

In your initial reply you mentioned that  the +5V rail on the PSU is reading as low

Is this still a problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Are you happy that the other issue/s have been taken care of, have you ordered the Ram yet.

Try the XP Autoplay Repair Wizard, download from here

If the +5V rail is low it can affect disk drive motors, Simms (single inline mode memory slots) and AGP graphics card slots on older computers.

To check the output from the PSU;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Hi

Sorry for the late reply here is the speedfan readings.Attached comparison screen shot with   HWMonitor

Fan1  3375rpm

Fan2  3125 rpm

Fan3  0 rpm

Temp1  37c

Temp2  35 c

Temp3  64 c

HDO   40c

Vcore1  1.70v

Vcore2   2.69v

+3.3v   3.33  v             -12v  -9.15v 

+5v  4.33  v                   -5v  -4.70v

+12v  12.22  v               +5v  4.62v

Vbat  4.08v

Attached Thumbnails

• sf1.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Are you happy that the other issue/s have been taken care of, have you ordered the Ram yet.

Try the XP Autoplay Repair Wizard, download from here

If the +5V rail is low it can affect disk drive motors, Simms (single inline mode memory slots) and AGP graphics card slots on older computers.

Your latest screenshots still show the +5V rail as being too low, in addition to this the voltage to the memory slots is too high at 2.69V, try restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS to see if it resets the voltage to the memory slots, when you check can you also make a note of the temps and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V rails and post the info with your next reply, see example screenshot;

Advertisements

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Apologies for the late reply, my pc has been having more problems lately which i found out where to do with my gfx card.

After trying to change the drivers i opened the case and found alot of dust in the gfx card fan.

cleaning the dust out with an air duster did the trick although it needed another clean again a few days ago after a blue screen error came up below.

http://answers.micro...c4-0bc16797b134

On the topic of the bios as far as i am aware the default settings are currently running. I have never changed anything in the bios although whether or not the engineer did so when the mobo was installed around 4-5 years ago i am not sure.

Should i still alter the bios settings as described in the post above?

I looked fot the manual for my mobo to see what the bios settings should be but it seems the engineer didn't provide me with the manual after installation.

The model number however is Gigabyte GA-7N400 as when i opened the case to clean the gfx card fan i noted the mobo model number.

Edited by arclight, 30 April 2014 - 02:32 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

As per my reply #40, you will not be updating/flashing the BIOS only restoring the MBs most stable settings;

Your latest screenshots still show the +5V rail as being too low, in addition to this the voltage to the memory slots is too high at 2.69V, try restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS to see if it resets the voltage to the memory slots, when you check can you also make a note of the temps and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V rails and post the info with your next reply, see example screenshot;

arclight

arclight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Just to double check i don't think its possible is there a way to take a screen-shot of the bios settings?

Edited by arclight, 07 May 2014 - 03:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Provide the details only please as you cannot provide a screenshot