Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win7 can't boot even using Hiren Boot CD [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Preemoz

Preemoz

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi.

I'm using windows 7. My computer won't boot at all, not even in safe mode, it gets stuck at aswrvrt.sys, then I get the blue screen and the computer restarts again. If I try to boot windows as usual, it just keeps rebooting. If I run the recovery mode, it freezes - I can still move the mouse, but that's about it.

I tried Hiren Boot CD and I could boot into Parted Magic and at least retrieve the files that I need. However, I could not boot into any of the other options. When I tried mini XP boot, same thing as with the recovery mode happened - it froze. I have a personal digital certificate imported in Mozilla Firefox, that I really need and I couldn't retrieve so far. I tried copying "cert8.db" file to another computer and the certificate didn't show up in Firefox. So the way I see it, the only option for me to see this certificate again is to be able to boot the Windows and export the certificate. Is there any way this could be done?

Thank you very much for any help.

Edit: I corrected some of the information, because in my original post I wrote some things wrong.

Edited by Preemoz, 08 March 2014 - 07:01 AM.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
:welcome:

On another computer, using the same Operating System, Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc.

Note: the below can only be done if your machine has a a type of CD/R or DVD/R optical drive installed. Also depending on the exact type of OEM your machine has you may be unable to actually create a SRD.

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run...(or the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box, then copy/paste the following command into the box and click on OK:

recdisc.exe

• Allow the UAC(User Account Control) prompt via selecting Yes.
  • You should now see a menu like the below:-
Posted Image

• Put a blank rewritable CD/DVD in your optical(CD/DVD) drive and then click on Create disc.
  • Note: If a AutoPlay window pops up, just close it.
  • When the SRD has been created you will see the below:-
Posted Image

• Now click on Close >> OK. Leave the disc in the drive as we will be using it shortly.
  • You now have a Windows 7 System Repair Disc.

Boot the ailing computer with it and let me know if able to reach the command prompt in the Repair Console.

Preemoz

Preemoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your reply. I tried the system repair disc and unfortunately I couldn't reach the command prompt. When I tried booting using the system repair disc, same thing as with the mini XP and recovery mode happens - computer freezes shortly after booting, I can still move the mouse, but that's it.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
It may be due to hardware. Is there a Diagnostic option during the Power-on self-test (POST)? If it does, select it.

• Download NTBR_CD by noahdfear.
  • Extract its contents to the desktop.
  • Once extracted, open the NTBR_CD folder and click on the BurnItCD application.
  • Insert a blank CD when prompted. The .iso image will be burned to the CD.
  • Boot the computer with the CD you just burned and follow the prompts.
  • Press Enter for English.
  • At the menu type 5 to select Command prompt then hit Enter
  • At the prompt type the following and press Enter after each line:

cd tools
    cd ntfs4dos
    CHKDSK /F
  • Once CHKDSK is completed, press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart the machine.
  • Eject the CD upon restart and boot normally.

let me know the outcome.

Preemoz

Preemoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ran the start-up test and it failed. It looks like there is something wrong with the hard disk. I am attaching the photo of the error message below.

photo (1).JPG

I also ran CHKDSK. I got a prompt in German that said I should press Enter which I did and I got the following error message:

photo.JPG

Edited by Preemoz, 09 March 2014 - 03:14 PM.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts

I ran the start-up test and it failed. It looks like there is something wrong with the hard disk. I am attaching the photo of the error message below.

I also ran CHKDSK. I got a prompt in German that said I should press Enter which I did and I got the following error message:

Is definitely an issue with the hard drive and must be replaced. Try Puppy Linux and see if you can recover any document from this drive

Preemoz

Preemoz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well then unfortunately I have no other choice than to get a new hard drive :) I got most of the files I needed, so that's good.

Thank you very much for all of your help!

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
You are welcome. :)

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.