Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow to wake since adding SSD

• Please log in to reply

spid4567

spid4567

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I recently replaced my Hard drive with an Intel 530 series 250 GB SSD. Before the change, if the compute went to sleep, it would wake up immediately, and all features would be available. Now, since switching to the SSD, it takes a few minutes for most things to be available. Web surfing will work immediately, but I can't watch a DVD, play ITunes, or Watch TV via Windows Media Center for a few minutes.

It boots from start in less than 1 minute - yet takes longer to be completely working coming out of sleep.

What is it about the SSD that is causing this?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello spid4567

Something is clearly not right as your computer should boot up in a matter of seconds and not almost a minute.

Did you do a fresh install of the OS.
Tell us as much as you can about the computer hardware.
It may be that your power management settings are off in Windows, once we have your computer specs we will have a better idea.

If you have not done so already check out the * Optimize the performance of an Intel SSD using Trim functionality information here

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I did not do a fresh install of the OS. I copied an image of the old drive to the new SSD.

I have already run the Intel SSD Toolbox.

System Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80 Ghz
6 GM RAM
Motherboard: Asus P6T SE
Asus U3S6 expansion card - adds USB 3 and 6 Gb/s SATA ports

The new SSD is connected to the Asus expansion card. The Motherboard only has 3 Gb/s SATA.

When coming out of sleep I am able to look at files on the SSD, as well as an external drive I have connected to the USB 3 port on the expansion card. So, both the SSD and the expansion card seem to wake up immediately.

I can web surf, probably do a lot of other things.

I can't access my printer (connected via USB), watch TV via Windows Media Center (connected via USB to cable card box), listen to ITunes, watch DVDs via Cyberlink PowerDVD 9. There may be other things I haven't noticed yet.

All of the things that don't work all seem to come on line at the same time - a few minutes after coming out of sleep. When powering normal, everything works immediately.

Is it possible the SSD is slow to wake up? I can see files on it before everything else comes on line. Could they be cached?

Spid4567

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I note that your MB does not have an integrated video chip meaning that you have an add on video card, please provide the brand and model name or number of the video card and the same for the PSU, this to see if the hardware is underpowered which would cause a slowdown in response time.

See if the following helps meanwhile;
Right Click your desktop, click "Personalize" click "Screen Saver" at the bottom of the window, click "Change Power Settings" select the bullet for "High Performance" then exit and see how it goes.

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have a Radeon HD 5870 Video Card. How do I tell anything about the PSU? Do I have to open up the case and look at it directly?

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Also, the "High Performance" bullet is already selected.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I have a Radeon HD 5870 Video Card. How do I tell anything about the PSU? Do I have to open up the case and look at it directly?

Also, the "High Performance" bullet is already selected.

If you don`t know the PSU details you will need to take the side of the case off to get the PSU information, see the example attachment.

Acknowledged the power settings.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
The power supply is a Cooler Master 850 W, 80 PLUS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Plenty of power available so that can be ruled out, having read reviews for the ASUS expansion device I suspect that the card itself is the cause, an in depth analysis and performance tips + other reviews are available here, you will note the bottlenecks and SSD performance drops that are mentioned.

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
So what do you recommend? Is there a driver update for the card? Or, should I just use the SATA II ports on the Motherboard? Will the reduced throughput be noticeable in real-world usage?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The SSD will only function at the same rate as the SATA ports on your MB and by putting something in between the two you have effectively slowed the SSD down (the bottleneck that was mentioned) you cannot make something go faster than it is capable of and products that claim that they can are downright dishonest.

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
OK, of course that makes sense. But, when powering up from completely off, the system is 100% ready to go in less than 1 minutes. When coming out of sleep, some features are taking longer to wake up than others. I can see data on the SSD during this waiting period, so it looks like it is powered up.

Assuming the add-on card is slowing the SSD down, wouldn't it slow down be consistent all the time? Why would things only be slow for a few minutes after coming out of sleep?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Windows should boot in around 30 seconds from an SSD but it does depend on what services are selected to also run at start up.

The speed of the Ram and any programs that may be running in the background can affect how quickly you are able to access data on the drive, your anti virus protection is an example of such a program.

Connecting the SSD direct to the MB for testing purposes is the first thing that I would do.

spid4567

spid4567

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I connected the SSD directly to the motherboard and the wake from sleep is the same.

I did notice something (don't know if it was this way before). I have a Blu-ray burner/player in the system. I have noticed that this drive often disappears when the system comes out of sleep. No big deal, I don't use it much anyway. Now, immediately after waking up, the drive letter showed up in Windows Explorer. Once the printer, TV card, etc came up, at the same instant, the drive letter went away. Is it possible this is what is causing the trouble?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Check the computer sleep state settings on your computer to see if you are using the one most appropriate for you, details here

Regarding the Blu ray device, if you do not use it try disabling the device so that it frees up resources and lessens the demands on the MBs SATA ports.