Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with SSD question

• Please log in to reply

Desertryder

Desertryder

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm putting together a new gamer and have decided to use SSD drives for the first time. (Got my tax return and am blowing it on bling)
I got Windows 7 64 bit and it says to allow 20GB on the harddrive for installation. I bought a 32GB SSD just for the OS alone. My concern
is will 32GB be enough for the OS. I'm afraid the growth with updates over time will eat into the storage. Am I correct in this or am I
wrong about the growth over time? Please help a newbie to SSD

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: Desertryder

Pre Windows 8 release I was hearing of people saying that an 80GB SSD had soon filled up with Windows 7 and subsequent updates, with this in mind with my next new build I fitted a 128GB SSD for the Windows OS, Microsoft Office and AV program installations and nothing else, keep in mind that SSD drives are expected to last for many years so you will install a lot of updates + in order to avoid data corruption you must keep between 20 and 25% of the overall storage capacity of the drive free at all times, this allows for the data to be transferred backwards and forwards quickly and helps to avoid data corruption.

Desertryder

Desertryder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks phillpower2, Looks like i will be getting a 180GB SSD...that should do it.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
180GB should be fine. As a minimum I use 120GB drives, always preferring 240GB if the clients can afford it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are welcome Desertryder :thumbsup: