Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware Issues...help!

• Please log in to reply

artbava

artbava

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

My PC just went blackscreen after playing a game for a few hours. I've reset the system and then 3 long beeps. I've reseated the memory and the beeps stoped...the system powered up, fans spinning but no post, no video. Tried another memory stick, changed slots, and nothing...

I took out the MB from the case, and removed everything but the CPU and one memory stick. The system still powers up, fans spinning, but no beeps(even if there is no video card installed...it should have beeped isn't it?) well...it only beeps when there is no RAM installed.

So i've tried to swap the GPU for another one (9600GT), nothing...(replaced the GTX 460)

Then i've tried to test the PSU. The GPU (GTX 460) uses two power cables to power up. As i didn't have another PSU with this connectors, i've swaped the GPU for the 9600GT again and used another PSU, but the problem still.

Sometimes the system starts, fans starts, and then it all stops a for a few seconds and start over again...but still no post or video...

I don't know what else to try. Can you help me, please?

Before i trash the MB i would like to hear a second thought on this...

Here is my system specs:

Intel motherboard DP35DP (no video onboard)
CPU Core 2 duo E8600 (with Hyper TX3 evo cooler)
PSU Corsair GS500 (and a Generic one used in the test)
GPU GTX 460 (and 9600 GT used in the test)
4 GB RAM Kingston HyperX DDR2
HD WD 640 GB

No DVD or other PCI card connected

Thanks!!!

Edited by artbava, 08 March 2014 - 06:39 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: artbava

Good troubleshooting steps taken already so well done there :thumbsup:

The fact that the MB speaker gives out error beeps when the Ram is removed suggests that the Ram and the memory slots are ok and that the fault is with a device that is tested after the Ram as part of the POST, the video card or the PCI-E slots are both possible candidates as the cause, your MB only has one PCI-E X16 slot so that rules out trying either of the present two cards in another slot, this leaves trying either a PCI-E X1 card in one of the three available slots or the standard PCI in that slot to see if you get a display, I understand that both items may be difficult for you to borrow for testing purposes and I am just posting possible options, testing the two video cards in another computer can rule them in or out as being the cause.

Take a close look at the PCI-E X16 slot on both sides of the MB to see if there is any signs of damage.
Have you tried clearing the CMOS by pulling the MBs CMOS battery for 10 minutes or so in case of a bad MB setting.
I may have overlooked it but did you try the GS500 PSU with the 9600 GT video card.

artbava

artbava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
phillpower2, thank you very much for your help!!! I will try what you've told me and let you know here...

Just some more info: this is the second MB i've bought in less than a year(same model, for the sake of not reinstalling everything) Which pointed me to the PSU, probably causing some kind of instability... The first MB (lasted 6 month) just stoped and now don't even turn power on. This one lasted 2 months, so i'm a bit concerned of buying another MB without being sure it is not the PSU.

I thought it could be a short circuit with the case as well... even if the problem still out of the case, but it could be already damaged anyways... the installation appears to be fine.

Do you think it is possible that RAM caused this to MB? Cause this MB only support 1,8v RAM, and i was using a 2,2v RAM. Just noticed that in my tests today...

Already reset BIOS (clear cmos and also removed the battery) but didn't solved the problem.

Your help was and still much appreciated.

Edited by artbava, 09 March 2014 - 08:23 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update artbava :thumbsup:

The video card or the PSU not being able to provide adequate clean and stable power to the video card and other hardware may have damaged the MB and other hardware, the 2.2V Ram though unless you increased the voltage in the BIOS would only be supplied with the stock 1.85V that the MB is designed to put out as standard, this would however damage the Ram so if you can borrow a stick of the correct 1.85V Ram and try that to at least rule out your Kingston Ram as the cause.

You are welcome btw :)

artbava

artbava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, i have good news and bad news...

The good news is that i think you've found the problem: Turning the MB upside down it is possible to see the damage all over the RAM pins, toasted! For some odd reason it stoped the beeps when i put the memory stick, but not every time. It probably damaged the ram sticks as well... Even trying with new memory sticks it wouldn't have worked for obvious reasons.

I don't know if it matters, but the MB's manual recomends just a few specific 1,8v RAM modules (which is not the ones i was using), warning that it could damage the MB and other components.

Have you ever heard about ram voltages causing things like that, or should i suspect about the PSU?

The bad news is that i still don't know if the PSU is stable and safe for use with a new system. It is apparently working, but i can't test it with continuous and full loaded usage... maybe i'll buy another one just in case...

I would like to thank you again for the help! Best wishes!

Edited by artbava, 09 March 2014 - 08:23 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Would it be possible for you to take a picture of what you suspect is damage to the MB and then upload it here.

Low voltage would damage the Ram - over voltage would damage the MB and other hardware, did you increase the voltage for the Ram in the BIOS to 2.2V

My canned text for selecting hardware components;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU (a must) and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many Ram products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

And a PSU;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

I do not wish to alarm you but the attached video is the one that I use as an example to show the sort of equipment that is required to conclusively test a PSU.

What the equipment does is simulate a computer under load and so the PSU behaves as it would when it is powering your PC, multi-meters and the basic testing devices that you can purchase from some merchants only test the basic voltage output from the PSU rails and so cannot be relied on as 100% conclusive.

artbava

artbava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a picture, but i don't know how to post it here, cause when i click <insert image> it points to a http:// (may you help me?)

This MB don't have an option in BIOS to increase or decrease the RAM voltage. I just didn't know or thought about this, my fault or inexperience...

About the PSU: so there is no simple way that i can be sure of it, isn't it?

Obs.: I was using the Corsair when the problem occurred, i've just used the generic PSU for testing.

Edited by artbava, 10 March 2014 - 04:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The fact that you get intermittent beeps with the Ram does suggest that it is the memory slots/MB and not the Ram.

Is your Ram 1 X 4GB stick or 2 X 2GB sticks.

Without the sort of equipment that is used in the video you cannot conclusively test a PSU.

artbava

artbava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sry, i was using fast reply...

here is the pics

Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_000535.jpg
  • WP_000539.jpg

Edited by artbava, 10 March 2014 - 05:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the pictures :thumbsup:

Without appearing to state the obvious there is clear signs of damage to the memory slot areas of the board, you have told us that there is nowhere in the BIOS to adjust the memory voltage so it is possible that the 2.2V Ram was auto - adjusted in the BIOS which has led to this damage, I have to go out for a few hours shortly so while I am away it would help if you can find and post a link to an online manual for your MB.

Something else for you to check on the MB is the capacitors for signs of bulging and leaks etc, to help with this please see here

Do you by chance still have the previous MB to see if the damage to that was the same.

Advertisements

artbava

artbava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, i do have the other MB and there is no signs of damage... (This MB don't even power on, have doubled checked it in my recent tests...)

All capacitors seems to be good and new, as the entire MB looks like, even being an old model. (for both MBs)

Here is the MB manual

DP35DP Manual

Here is the pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_000543.jpg
  • WP_000545.jpg
  • WP_000546.jpg

Edited by artbava, 10 March 2014 - 08:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update artbava :thumbsup:

Where to start is difficult and I am sorry to say it is best for me to be blunt and suggest that you start afresh :(

You cannot trust any of the present components to be fit for purpose - the previous MB shows no signs of damage to the same area of the MB as the latter one does yet it does not work, was the same processor and Ram used in both boards.

We also do not know the brand and model name or number of the PSU that you have used for testing, are you certain that it is working and capable of powering all of your hardware.

Sorry to be so glum with my assessment :(

artbava

artbava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
There is another thing i didn't mentioned, is that i've bought a new case when the first MB stoped working, cause i've mounted it in an old one and without the hex nuts, which i suspect that have damaged the MB. (living and learning! oh boy!) What i'm trying to say it is that maybe it happens for two different reasons.

Are you saying that i should build a new system from scratch? And don't use any of the components i have? Well... didn't we ended up blaming the PSU or inadequate RAM? This things are much cheaper than a whole new system...i can't afford a new one now... but i will consider that anyway. Thank you very much for the amazing support you gave me. Best wishes!!!

Edited by artbava, 10 March 2014 - 11:21 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

There is another thing i didn't mentioned, is that i've bought a new case when the first MB stoped working, cause i've mounted it in an old one and without the hex nuts, which i suspect that have damaged the MB. (living and learning! oh boy!) What i'm trying to say it is that maybe it happens for two different reasons.

Was it the first or second MB that was used without being secured by using mounting screws, was it both MBs.

Not using the exact amount of mounting screws and where required standoffs will lead to the MB and other hardware shorting out.

Are you saying that i should build a new system from scratch? And don't use any of the components i have?

You could buy a cheap working MB off somewhere like ebay that is compatible with your CPU and Ram and has an integrated video chip, if it all works you could then add your video card, if your video card does not work at least you still have a working computer that you can use.

Well... didn't we ended up blaming the PSU or inadequate RAM?

Nope. Not sure where this was stated!

Questions that have not been answered;
From my reply #2

Take a close look at the PCI-E X16 slot on both sides of the MB to see if there is any signs of damage.

My reply #8

Is your Ram 1 X 4GB stick or 2 X 2GB sticks.

My reply #12

We also do not know the brand and model name or number of the PSU that you have used for testing, are you certain that it is working and capable of powering all of your hardware.

Tip
If you ever again need to ask for assistance on a forum such as GTG you could save yourself time by providing as much information as you can in your first post and by answering all questions as they are asked if you can.

artbava

artbava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
1º Quote Answer: I used the mounting screws in both MoBos. I didn't used the 'standoffs' only in the first MoBo (that one there is no sign of damage)...Sry cause i didn't remebered the name of that things 'standoffs' (hex nuts).

2º Quote Answer: Yeah, i think you have a point, i'll do it.

3º Quote Answer: Sry, i've thought it.

Questions have not being answered:

Reply #2 - Answer: No signs of damage at all on both PCI-Es.

Reply #8 - Answer: I used 2x2Gb RAM sticks in channel B (not in channel A as advertised in manual - i never thought this things matters (at least it doesn't with new MoBos). I just read the manual after the issue :blush:

Reply #12 - Answer: The PSU is a 500W generic model without brand. It still works in another PC i have here for more than a year without problems, but.. it can't power all the hardware that was in this system we are talking about, but i think that is not the case, cause it only have to power the CPU, 1 RAM stick and the 9600GT. Sometimes the test didn't even needed the 9600GT, cause it beeps before i place it. As the PSU is a generic one, i know it can't handle the specified Watts on lable, maybe half of it, what is still above the needs for the test, isn't it?.

Sorry if i didn't provided the whole information about it in time. I'm really trying. I'll be glad to answer every question you may need to help me.

Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

ps. sry for my english...it is not my native language.

Edited by artbava, 11 March 2014 - 09:41 AM.