Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will a New Network Card Mean More Transfer Speed?

• Please log in to reply

Manscape

Manscape

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Greetings,

My existing network card is

Technology: PCI Realtek RTL8105E
Data transfer speeds: up to 10/100 Mb/s
Transmission standards:10-Base-T Ethernet

My Internet service is DSL.

I've attached my computer's specs and an Internet speed test measurement.

If I were to install a PCIe Gigabit Network Adapter card would I experience faster data transfer? I'm confused as to why the existing "faster ethernet" measures far below the maximum 10/100 Mb/s it claims to provide as you can see in the speed test. I've never exceeded two Mbps(download)in any speed test thus far. I know DSL is the slowest broad band but I'll need to remain with it for a while longer. In terms of user experience, my computer seems very fast. It's just the Internet on the existing network card, but there is a new wireless router I've purchased not yet installed that will add a notebook computer and an iPod touch to expand this network.

Ultimately, the addition of a Gigabit Network Adapter Card is inexpensive and I have the room in the case and I like the work involved, but I would pass on the improvement if it wouldn't serve to REALLY improve performance.

So, will an installation of a PCIe gigabit Network Adapter card raise the data transfer speed I'm getting now and after the new wi-fi router is installed and the network is expanded?

Thank you for your help in this little issue.

Attached Thumbnails

• Desktop System Specs.PNG
  • uploaddownload speed test.PNG

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Your network speed will only be as great as the slowest portion of the path. In this case, the 1.30 Mbps speed you see in the test. You are limited by the speed of the DSL connection. Network speed between devices inside your home will be closer to 100mbps provided all of the devices in the connection can provide that speed.

Edited by 98springer, 17 March 2014 - 06:41 PM.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts

98springer,

this is not completely true what you say. Yes, your network will be as fast as your slowest part of the network. However. You do not take into account any background information that might be required in order to give a good answer.

Manscape,

Can you please provide me with a bit more information?

- Are you using wired or wireless connection?

- Can you log into your modem to see what your DSL modem tells you your speed is?

Regards,

Olrik

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Olrik-

Good call on logging into the modem to check the speed there. I should've thought of it. As for wired/wireless, I assumed it was wired because of the "Transmission standards:10-Base-T Ethernet" but you know what they say about assuming....

:)