Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window 7

• Please log in to reply

Jessica101

Jessica101

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My hp G61-631NR window crash after it did a window update. I purchase a external hard drive I trying to back up my files. Before I do the system recovery start over but every time I go to the recovery manager. Click on back up files plug in the hard drive it is doing the file back up. Then it said there is no more space it show the external hard drive. But it won't allow me to click on it and save the files on to it. I don't know why it won't gave the option to save the files on the external hard drive from the beginning.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Jessica :welcome:

If you know for sure that your problem start because a Windows Update there is no reason to restore the system because you can simply revert the situation.

Power-on the computer and start pressing F8 to access the following screen:
Posted Image

Note: In some machines pressing F8 during boot can give you access to a BIOS boot menu if this happens select boot from the Hard Disk drive and start pressing F8 again.

Select Repair Your Computer after loading you should be able to access the following screen:
Posted Image

Click System Restore and select a restore point created before the Windows Update. Normally every time windows install updates a new restore point is created.

Edited by SleepyDude, 09 March 2014 - 03:14 PM.

Jessica101

Jessica101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I try the system restore it didn't work

Edited by Jessica101, 09 March 2014 - 05:03 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

I try the system restore it didn't work

The System Restore didn't work or it didn't solve the problem?

Can you provide more information about the error you get when the system boot?

Jessica101

Jessica101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It said that the system can't be restore and that window is not install. Now when I turn it on the hp screen loads it said click esc to go to the start up menu. If you don't click esc a black screen comes and it's said boot is missing click Ctrl+alt+del. And then startup menu comes it's giving me the options of F1 system information F2 system diagnostics F9 boot device options F10 Bios setup F11 system recovery and F12Network boot.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

It said that the system can't be restore and that window is not install. Now when I turn it on the hp screen loads it said click esc to go to the start up menu. If you don't click esc a black screen comes and it's said boot is missing click Ctrl+alt+del. And then startup menu comes it's giving me the options of F1 system information F2 system diagnostics F9 boot device options F10 Bios setup F11 system recovery and F12Network boot.

Hi,

Repeat the steps I posted above but instead of System Restore click Command Prompt from there type the commands bellow and press Enter after each:

Bootrec /RebuildBcd
If the Bootrec.exe tool runs successfully, it presents you with an installation path of a Windows directory.
To add the entry to the BCD store, type Yes. A confirmation message appears that indicates the entry was added successfully.

If the Bootrec.exe tool cannot locate any missing Windows installations, you must remove the BCD store, and then you must re-create it.
To do this, type the following commands in the order in which they are presented:
Bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Bootrec /rebuildbcd