Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Malfunction

• Please log in to reply

Adam812

Adam812

• Pip
  • 1 posts
This morning after I finished using my laptop I slammed it shut a little harder than I should. When I went to open it back up this afternoon a black screen appeared with the following" Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" After pushing every key on my board nothing happens it just repeats itself and will not let me go anywhere. Also, when I try to reboot my computer it makes a ticking noise. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It is an Asus Windows 7 computer

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Almost afraid to say this but, it sounds like the hard drive has been severely damaged. The ticking noise is often caused by the reciprocating heads repeatedly seeking back and forth trying to locate the boot sector on the spinning platters. And, if the read/write heads touched the still spinning platters, the data that was under those scratches/gouges is gone forever.

Ontrack, Flashback Data and DriveSavers are three well-known companies that can attempt to retrieve files off of a 'dead' hard drive. Pricing typically runs between a few hundred to a couple of thousand dollars (US).