Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Who's on my wifi?

• Please log in to reply

abenov20

abenov20

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have finicky wifi and a hubby who likes to share the pass code with his friends! I recently downloaded the "Who's on my wifi" program. Only I have no idea what the devices with no names are! I don't want to kick anything off that needs to be there but honestly have no clue what I am doing! It's currently showing 14 devices on my network! We have 3 wireless cable boxes, one wired DVR, 3 laptops, one wireless desktop, a bluetooth printer, an xbox, a blu ray player, and 3 cell phones. Not all hooked up at the same time. And at the time of the test I had disconnected the cell phones, 2 of the laptops, and the desktop. Any help is much appreciated!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hello,

Unfortunately you're going to have to take those results with a grain of salt. I'd never heard of the program before so I just gave it a test run - and it hasn't detected all of the wireless devices I have connected to my network, so it's not reliable. And also, it detected wired devices also.

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Does it show the MAC Address of each device? There have been a few times when I thought someone was on my network only to find out that it was one of my devices.
The first half of the MAC address represents the manufacturer. You can use this tool to at least find out who made the thing and rule out a forgotten ROKU box or Ipod.

http://www.macvendorlookup.com/