Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer kept restarting when loaded into OS

• Please log in to reply

talkingtree

talkingtree

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi,

I'm having this weird problem. When I'm in Windows (XP or 7), the computer kept restarting after loaded to the OS environment (blue screen then quickly restart). The specific time after loading is unknown.

At the start, I thought it was the hard drive being old, so I bought a new one, however, the same problem can still be observed.

Later on, I thought it's the motherboard or some kind of peripheral failing, however, during the OS installation, the computer doesnt restart and can last for hours.

What would the problem be?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello talkingtree

Two common causes of such behaviour are overheating and a poor power supply.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

talkingtree

talkingtree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Hello talkingtree

Two common causes of such behaviour are overheating and a poor power supply.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Ok, desktop, HP Compaq dc7800 Small Form Factor.

Only upgrades were performed such as 3GB ram, 250 GB HDD, graphic card: MSI R5450 MDIGH (ATI Radeon HD5450). PSU: PC6014 output 240W

Edited by talkingtree, 11 March 2014 - 01:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The information that I am finding on the HD 5450 video card state that a 400W PSU is required, example here however you have told us that you have a 240W PSU which would explain the restarts when the computer is put under load.

talkingtree

talkingtree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Ok, I'll look into it

I thought the graphic card only use 20W here

Thanks for the help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The power that a video card requires is more complicated than the information that is often provided by merchants who are selling the card/s, an example of this is the amperage that the card requires to be present on the PSUs +12V rail, I have not been able to find this information anywhere and the information from MSI is also less than helpful.

The card reportedly will run hot due to the fanless design and this heat will soon build up inside your SFF case, the temperatures inside the case will also be increased by a PSU that is working harder than it should to keep up with the power demands placed on it.

Can I ask what the main use of the computer is and what the ambient room temperatures are like where the computer is used.

Some testing for you to do;

Test the card with Valley Benchmark (free) details here

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

You are welcome btw :)

talkingtree

talkingtree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Wow, that's a very detailed reply, ok thanks, I'll try it out, I dont have a purpose for the computer as it cannot be used (in living room with windows, room temperature).

Edited by talkingtree, 12 March 2014 - 02:46 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

during the OS installation, the computer doesnt restart and can last for hours.

I may have misunderstood the above so can I ask whether or not you are able to boot up the computer into Windows or does it crash.

talkingtree

talkingtree

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes, I can boot into Windows. However after a few minutes of usage in the Windows, the computer automatically turn into blue screen and restarts

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

As the restarts happen in both XP and Windows 7 it is unlikely to be a driver issue - but to see if the computer will stay on for longer for testing purposes can you restart the computer and boot XP into Safe Mode with networking by pressing the F8 key when the boot menu appears, try running Speedfan and posting the screenshot for us if you can.

To see if there is an on screen error message when XP crashes disable the auto restart;

1. Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.
2. In the Control Panel window, open System.
Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is set up, you may not see the System icon. To change this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.
3. In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
4. Locate the Start up and Recovery area and click on the Settings button.
5. In the Start up and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.
6. Click OK in the Start up and Recovery window.
7. Click OK in the System Properties window.
8. From now on, when a problem causes a BSOD or another major error that halts the system, the PC will not automatically reboot. Rebooting manually will be necessary.