Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you install older printers with Windows 8.1?

• Please log in to reply

bettei

bettei

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I am thinking about getting a new computer with Windows 8.1 to replace an old desktop with XP. I have three different printers hooked up, which I use for different things. Can you safely run the printer installation disks that worked with XP? I especially want to keep an Epson Perfection 2400 photo scanner, as it has an adapter to scan old slides.

I thought I would ask here, because if I ask in a store, I am sure they will want me to buy all new printers.

I also have a photoshop program called Digital Image Suite that I really like and want to keep using, but not sure if I should install it on a new computer.

Thanks!

Edited by bettei, 11 March 2014 - 01:58 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I am thinking about getting a new computer with Windows 8.1 to replace an old desktop with XP. I have three different printers hooked up, which I use for different things. Can you safely run the printer installation disks that worked with XP? I especially want to keep an Epson Perfection 2400 photo scanner, as it has an adapter to scan old slides.

I thought I would ask here, because if I ask in a store, I am sure they will want me to buy all new printers.

I also have a photoshop program called Digital Image Suite that I really like and want to keep using, but not sure if I should install it on a new computer.

Thanks!

:welcome:
I would not use the Windows XP disc for Windows 8.1, it was meant for XP. Try the manufacturers Web Site for Drivers and software updates for your model printers.
There is a slim chance the Printers may work with Windows 8.1 from generic windows drivers , but first try the Web site for 8.1 OS.

I have the Epson Perfection 2400 Photo Scanner and it works in Windows 8.1 perfectly. Use this site Epson
And choose either Windows 7 64bit or 32 bit which ever you will have.Download and install it on the new system when you get it.

This worked perfect for me even though it was for Windows 7 ,you will have the scanner software and Windows 8.1 will detect it,otherwise it won't.

For the Digital Image Suite check here and for all your older software Windows Compatibility Center

Hope this Helps!!

Edited by jds63, 11 March 2014 - 06:56 PM.

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I don't have an XP disk anyway, my software came bundled in my computer. I meant I do have the installation disks for each printer. Thanks for your advice about printer updates!

Also, if I choose to use Windows live mail with the new computer, is there a special link to that for 8.1? Thanks!

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Thanks for the information. I looked at several replies to the Digital Image forums, and it is mixed. Some say yes, others no on Windows 8.

So my next question is...what happens if I try to install the Digital Image disk, and it is not compatible? Do you get an error message, and any chance in damaging the new computer if I try it?

Thanks for your time.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Your quite welcome, anytime.

O.k. ,but this software and drivers on these disc's if they came with your older Windows XP PC, they most likely will not be compatible with Windows 8.1.

Sometimes the disc's are marked on them for which operating system there for, can always look them up too. Plus you know how old they are.

No Windows live on Windows 8.1, Outlook.com now Outlook
As far as i know, i do not use it, not to sure, but when first setting up Windows 8.1 you will be asked to create a microsoft account, like [email protected] and then you can retrieve and send mail, there is links in Windows 8.1, control panel and also in apps for mail.

No i do not think you can damage your computer by installing obsolete software, just uninstall it afterwards.
Always make a System restore point before and you can also make a registry backup too.

Good luck, google is a good resource do your homework beforehand.:thumbsup:

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
I got the new computer up and running with 8.1. Used the Epson installation disk, it looked like it was going to work. Went to the Epson site and from the driver update page, selected the model # which is the perfection 2400, and you are supposed to select your OS from a dropdown box. Of course, 8.1 is not there. Ran the download for windows 7 and gave that a shot. Maybe i should not done that? Anyway, it looked like it was going to work. Plugged in the usb cord to the new computer, restarted it with the plug in so it would recognize it. The Scanner icon went is installed on my desktop like it was on my old XP computer. When I clicked on it, the scan page looked like normal, but when I tried to scan ans save, it said I needed a twain driver. Maybe I will have to discard this scanner, but I thought I would ask one more time since you said the same model works fine on your comuter with 8.1.

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello bettei

As jds63 is offline can I ask if you tried downloading and installing the appropriate 32 or 64-bit TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.04A from here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hello bettei

As jds63 is offline can I ask if you tried downloading and installing the appropriate 32 or 64-bit TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.04A from here

I have Windows 8.1 64 bit and this driver software worked fine on my system for Epson 2400 Perfection.Which Windows 8.1 do you have 64bit or 32bit, make sure you have chosen the right one, Windows 7 64bit or 32 bit according to your Win 8.1, plus did you uninstall that older installation you ran first?

Edited by jds63, 23 March 2014 - 12:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
It will hopefully resolve the issue then jds63 :thumbsup:

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Yes, that is where I looked, but if you use the drop down menu to find the right OS, Windows 8 or 8.1 is not listed there. So I selected Win 7 even though I do not have that, and it told me my OS will not run the scanner when I tried to scan something.

If they do not list the correct OS, how can you download a driver? I have no idea...thanks!

Advertisements

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

I have 8.1 64 bit, and it is not listed on any OS lists for Epson.  I found a reply from someone who had a workaround solution by downloading a driver for a different scanner. 

I proceeding with his instructions, and got a warning that by downloading this driver might cause hardware not to work in my computer.  So I cancelled it.  Would it harm my computer, do you think?

http://www.gollyjer....n-2450.html?m=1

Edited by bettei, 24 March 2014 - 09:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

In the instance that there are no Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers available for an older device it is suggested that you first try the appropriate 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 drivers and if they do not work uninstall those drivers and then try the 32 or 64 bit Vista drivers.

Please note that you should always create a new restore point before uninstalling/updating drivers and/or any other software.

The fix at your link may work for you but as above make sure that you create a new restore point first. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hi Phill,

Hi bettei,

I am wondering why it is not working for you, since i have Windows 8.1 64 bit and the same scanner exactly and i used the Windows 7 64 bit driver, all has worked for me, never an issue yet.

True, always make a restore point, make sure those older drivers and software have been removed you installed from the older CD software.

It is a self extracting software and driver.

Worst case scenario if it does not work you can buy this software and it will be guaranteed to work for this scanner, used it once myself. http://www.hamrick.com/

Edited by jds63, 27 March 2014 - 03:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello jds63  :wave:

bettei

bettei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

JDS,  I will try one more time to download the win7 64 bit driver.  I even emailed Epson, and they replied like they don't even have 64 bit drivers.  Confusing.  I did look at the Hamrick site, so that is a possibility.  The scanner still works fine on my old computer, so I can at least use it there.

So to make sure I understand, should I remove everything Epson I installed with the installation CD, then go to the Epson site and try downloading the driver there?  And then do I have to reinstall the printer cd all over again?

You can tell I don't know much about computers, not sure what you mean by self extracting.  thanks again!

Edited by bettei, 27 March 2014 - 04:57 PM.