Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help linux mint and netflix

• Please log in to reply

wisdom89

wisdom89

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i just got Linux mint 13 and found out i couldn't watch Netflix i seen where people said you can any help is greatly appreciated

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
From what I've seen, all the solutions to getting netflix to work under Linux are rather kludgy. The problem essentially lies in the fact that Netflix relies on Silverlight to serve content (so that it can enforce DRM on said content).

Now that I've explained why you're having troubles with Netflix on Linux, let's address your real question: How can I get Netflix running under Linux.

Currently, it seems the leading option is to use pipelight. The official documentation recommends the following steps (Mint is an Ubuntu derivative, so don't worry that the section heading says "Ubuntu"):

Enter the following commands in your terminal:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipelight/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends pipelight-multi
sudo pipelight-plugin --update
sudo pipelight-plugin --enable silverlight
Unfortunately, even after pipelight is installed, you may still need a User-agent switcher, as Netflix may be checking to make sure you're running in a Windows Environment.

See what I mean about the solution being rather kludgy?

Edited by MS-Free, 24 March 2014 - 10:46 AM.