Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer unable to boot - UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

• Please log in to reply

Shikaka

Shikaka

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello,

My Dad's VAIO laptop (model: vgn-fs315z), windows xp (sp3 if I remember correctly) has recently been unable to boot up. We switch it on, and it shows the screen where we can choose to start windows normally, or with the last known good configuration, or in safe mode etc. Regardless of which option we select, it then begins booting up for a few seconds, followed by a blue screen which appears for an instant, then it restarts all over again.

I had to film the process to see the information on the blue screen, which states the problem is caused by an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME, but I can't read any information below this (if there is any) because the my camera isn't quick enough it seems, though I can obviously try again.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Shikaka

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu by pressing F8 during boot?
If yes, select Disable automatic restart on system failure. Then when you get a BSOD, it will stay on the scr4een.

Shikaka

Shikaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks for replying Ztruker

Did that, the technical information at the bottom is:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8712FC08, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See if anything here helps: you receive the "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" error message