Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista SP1 0xc01a001d

• Please log in to reply

Wolflover48

Wolflover48

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I know I am very late in doing this and actually I tried once before and had the same problem. Installing sp1 I get the error 0xc01a001d. Now I've already done the start up repair and it asked if I wanted to use system restore and now I'm at the login screen. It never asked me which restore point but seems to be ok again. How do I fix this? Can registry errors be the problem or running mcafee yes it was preinstalled with Norton. I really don't know much about this just some things I've read. Did anyone figure out why all these people had this problem and how to fix it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
:welcome: Wolflover48

We need some information about your computer as a starting point so run Speccy and post the resultant url for us, details here

Wolflover48

Wolflover48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Will get that to you asap.

Wolflover48

Wolflover48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok here it is.

http://speccy.pirifo...ACmH0MOeWV8mlvj

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
The problem is most likely caused by conflicts between the two AV programmes that you have installed.

The first thing to do is uninstall McAfee using the correct procedure, details here, if it is a paid for product make a note of the licence key first in case you wish to change back to it later (I wouldn`t).

You also mention that Norton was once on the computer, to make sure there are no stray files left that can cause conflicts run the Norton Removal Tool, details here

Next, see if SP1 will now install automatically, if not try and do it manually, all details here if all goes well you should next install SP2 and all other important updates.

Let us know how it goes.

Wolflover48

Wolflover48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did both of those. There appears to be remnants of Microsoft security essentials. Is there a removal tool for that one?

Wolflover48

Wolflover48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I am installing sp2 as we speak. TY so much for your help. If you can advise me on the ms security essentials and what you might recommend for an av and do I need a firewall? But assuming sp2 has no problems then I am good here. Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
MSE is highly rated as an AV software so stick with that for now as that will also be updated along with the other Microsoft software, this will ensure that you have AV protection while you are on-line, if you decide to change your AV further down the line try Avast which is also very good and available free.

Once your computer is fully updated I recommend that you create a back up of your HDD, you can use Macrium Reflect free for this, details here

Wolflover48

Wolflover48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh thank you so much for everything. SP2 is installed. Now my new all in one printer/copy/fax is also installed. You've been great help. Thank you for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up :thumbsup:

Stay safe and keep your AV and OS fully up to date ;)

Wolflover48

Wolflover48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
MSE isn't listed and doesn't appear to be under programs. It says though that it's turned off and Defender is on, but the turn on or update buttons don't work. When I tried to install it my computer said it couldn't boot up and went into startup repair/system restore So I'm at a loss. Unless you can help, I guess I will be using Avast, which I've used in the past.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
For removing MSE see here Vista or 7 option.

Next, install Avast free and then run Revo Uninstaller free from here to check for any stray files.