Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dban program

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Hey all. I used the dban program so I can do a fresh install of Windows to a new motherboard. I unplugged the keyboard and mouse before running it because they are USB. I was reading in the reviews to unplug all USB because it wipes them too and wasn't sure if it would affect them. Anyways, now the dban program is done and it's telling me to press any key but the keyboard isn't registering. Can I just pull the power plug and move on with the installation?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts
Hello heartgrave

You need to restart the computer so that the BIOS detects the keyboard which gives you the means of navigating the BIOS and setting the boot order, make sure that legacy USB ports are enabled, once the Windows installation starts the generic Windows drivers should have been installed.

I understand where you are coming from with DBan and removing USB devices but it was my thinking that it meant the likes of external HDDs and thumb drives etc.

Is your MB UEFI or standard BIOS.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Well, the HDD is still attached to the old motherboard. I was wiping it from the old PC first before pairing it with the new motherboard. The new motherboard is ... Click BIOS 4 according to the specs. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130693

<div><br></div><div>I don't know what the old motherboard is, however.</div><div><br></div>

Edited by heartgrave, 13 March 2014 - 03:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts
So you are concerned with simply turning off the power in case it damages the HDD.

What you could do is restart the computer and disable the HDD in the BIOS, save and exit, once you get the "no boot device found" message you can turn the computer off manually and remove the power cord from the wall socket and the HDD from the old MB.

Make sure that the HDD activity LED is not blinking when you turn off the power.

The click BIOS looks straight forward btw.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Thank you much, once again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts
You are most welcome and let us know if you have any further questions :thumbsup: