Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Component cooler and graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I have an nVidia 7300 LE graphics card. Currently, I always get colored lines that flicker constantly across my monitor. The issue gets worse the longer the computer is running. Could this be caused if the graphics card is running too hot? It currently runs around 130-1140 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have a component cooler from RadioShack. The instructions are quite general. It says to spray the cooler on components while equipment is operating. It mentions that prolonged spraying may blister components, but it doesn't state that the cooler cannot be used on certain components.

Is it safe to spray the graphics card with the cooler to see if bringing the temperature down (assuming this is a potential cause) helps to temporarily correct the colored lines? I ask since I'm unable to get a new computer at the moment, but I would still like to watch movies. The colored lines flickering it really difficult, though.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 13 March 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Sode no Shirayuki

Do not use such a spray on your computer and especially while it is connected to the mains electric and working.

The type of spray that you describe sounds like a solvent based cleaner which is designed to dissolve grease and other impurities on printed circuits, if you were to spray this anywhere near a running cooling fan the substance would be blown everywhere including the memory and add on card slots, not a good idea.

The NVidia 7300 LE graphics card is an older card and so it may showing it`s age but the fact that it is getting so hot may also point towards a faulty power supply that is putting out too much voltage.

Things that you can do to help drop the temperatures are blowing out any heat trapping dust with canned compressed air, see my canned text below;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan still.

Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note - if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Does your video card have a cooling fan or is it the passively cooled model that has no fan.

Once you have updated us I will provide information to help with checking the temps and voltages.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Hi,

It's a component cooler used for locating thermal issues. I've actually used it on the motherboard while my uncle was here (He works with computers) to figure out why my computer wasn't working at the time. He isn't here now, and he left the cooler with me to use. IIRC, I don't think I had this issue at the time which is why I never addressed it then. Either that or I never really though about since the computer wasn't working. I'm pretty sure I didn't fix the computer until after he had left.

These are the exact instructions printed on the can:

1. Operate the equipment until intermittent problem appears.
2. While equipment is still operating, spray suspected component until frost appears.
3. If operation returns to normal, replace that component.

It doesn't mention that it can't be used on certain components, though, so I'm wondering whether I can't use it to cool the graphics card temporarily while watching movies. The only thing it lists under contents is 1,1,1,2-Tetraflouroethane. It also mentions that it's CFC and HCFC-free. I'm not sure what those are.

---

Yeah, it's a very old graphics card, but I can't get a new computer at the moment. So, I'm looking for ways I can potentially temporarily solve the issue. The graphics card doesn't have any fans. I think this is it:

http://www.amazon.co...=nvidia 7300 le

---

I don't think it's the power supply. The power supply does make a clicking noise now, but that didn't occur until after I had begun experiencing the colored lines issue. Also, the computer seems to power just fine.

I do clean out the computer and check connections. A new processor thermal paste has been applied, too. Cleaning out the computer has never seemed to have an affect on the graphic card's cooling issue, though.

---

Here are the current temperatures. The computer has been on for a while with a game client and browser running.

http://postimg.org/image/6ytumu99r/

These are very close to the temperatures I got before the issue with the colored lines.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 14 March 2014 - 05:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the comprehensive update Sode no Shirayuki :thumbsup:

Those temperatures are fine but remember that the computer was not under load which is when the most heat is generated and the PSU is being worked the hardest, there is also no voltage readings.

Run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

2. While equipment is still operating, spray suspected component until frost appears.

A definite no no, frost/foam = moisture and a sure fire way of trashing your computer.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...hTqGm4ADnE6lGMU

Should I try older versions of my video driver?

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 15 March 2014 - 01:37 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
It will do no harm to try older drivers but I honestly feel that the card is just showing it`s age + keep in mind that it only has 128MB of video memory which will struggle with modern applications.

I noticed in the Speccy results that you are getting low on free storage space on Partition 0 on the C: drive, if this is where the OS is stored you need to free up some space before the OS becomes corrupt or the drive fails.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'm aware about the low space. I have some videos on my drive that I haven't gotten around to copying or deleting.

---

I tried some older drivers that date back to 2011 as well as some more recent ones, and it didn't help. However, removing the driver completely without installing a new one did solve the issue. There were no colored lines even when running an HD Youtube video, HD movie in Potplayer, and a game client. This creates another problem, though. Without a driver, images and text are quite blurry and large; and explorer is very slow when dragging windows. So, this isn't really an option.

I happen to find this card on Micro Center. It's $35 after rebate which places it at the same price as the nVidia 7300 LE I linked to. It's a Radeon HD 6450. It looks like will fit into my system, but I will have to see it to make sure. I may pick it up to fix the colored lines until I can get a new computer if it's still available by the time I can get out there. Do you know how it compares to an nVidia 7300 LE? I'm sure it's better, but I'm wondering how much better it is.

http://www.microcent...x16_Video_Card#

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 15 March 2014 - 09:23 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
That would normally suggest a driver issue, run DriverMax to see if any driver updates that you have not tried are suggested.

Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and be sure to uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

The XFX card would be better as it has newer technology including having 2GB of video memory and DirectX 11 support, I would suggest that if you can get a similar card for the same budget that has a cooling fan you should get that to help with internal cooling.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I ran Driver Max, and it does show an update for the nVidia 7300 LE graphics card. I find this to be strange since nVidia's downloads page says I have the latest version already. Should I try the driver that Driver Max is suggesting?

I should also point out that these colored lines appear on Windows 8 as well as on Windows XP, and Driver Max says I have the latest version of the graphics driver on Windows 8. The colored lines tend to be just as bad as on Windows XP or even worse on Windows 8. However, this time it wasn't as bad on Windows 8. One movie actually played without the lines although other movies played with them. Both movies are 720p.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Try the driver by all means but what date was it released.

I would be surprised if NVidea has Windows 8 drivers for such an old card so you may find that the generic Windows 8 drivers are being used, the lines coming and going does point towards the card being dated but I would suggest that you try another screen if you can to see if the issue is present there.

Advertisements

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'll try the driver Driver Max suggests, but I'm a bit stuck at the moment. Is there a safe way I can cancel check disk when it is checking an external drive during a Windows session? I had to power off my computer via the power button because my browser white screened and I couldn't kill the process via the task manager or killswitch nor could I restart or shutdown my computer. I also couldn't restart the process or open another instance of the browser. There was a blank white screen covering my monitor that could be minimized and maximized but not closed. Unfortunately, when I did this, I had forgotten to safely disconnect my external drive. I didn't expect check disk to run so slowly. It only has 4 bars and it's been around 6 hours at the time of this post.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 17 March 2014 - 05:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Chkdsk should never be interupted while it is running as it can cause serious problems.
Can I ask how Chkdsk has turned out to be running.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I ran it because I shutdown the computer improperly without first safely disconnecting the external drive. Should it not be run in instances such as this to make sure the drive is okay? I thought one of the reasons for Windows scheduling a check disk is when the computer is shutdown improperly. I figured it would be a good idea to do so. It took about 16 hours in end. I assume that isn't too bad considering the amount of data and directories on the drive.

I tried the graphics Driver Max suggested, and it didn't help. At first, I was able to browser and do normal tasks without any colored lines. However, when I played an HD movie, the colored lines returned during the movie and in the browser. It just occurred to me that it probably wouldn't matter either way. Even if the colored lines disappeared on Windows XP, that still leaves Windows 8; and I'm already using the latest driver for it. I think you're right about the card beginning to show its age. It was rather sudden when the colored lines appeared though. One day, it works just fine; and the next day there are colored lines all over my monitor.

I'll have to see what Micro Center has available. It would be worth picking up a cheap and decent card to fix the colored lines for now, even if I don't plan on using the computer for much longer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I ran it because I shutdown the computer improperly without first safely disconnecting the external drive. Should it not be run in instances such as this to make sure the drive is okay?

Just checking in case your internal HDD had crashed on you, yes Chkdsk should be run in such circumstances.

Some good information here on the specs needed for HD TV (and Blu ray for future reference).

The HD 6450 at your link requires a 400W PSU, does your present PSU meet the requirements.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
When I say HD, I am mostly referring to 720p. According to the first post in the thread you linked to, my processor should be okay (Core 2 Duo E6300 1.8 GHz). I'm not sure what graphics card the writer is referring to though. I assume the Radeon HD 6450 will suffice. I'm not prepared to put money into a dying computer to optimally watch 1080p video. It's definitely something that's going to be important to me when looking for a new computer though.

I have a 375W power supply. Yes, it's slightly under the specified requirement, but reviewers have reported running the card just fine with a 350W PSU.

I'm going to pick up the card because there's only one available and try it. If it doesn't work out, I can always return it for another. They have a 30-day return policy on their hardware.