Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Component cooler and graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I'm back with an update. For a while, the driver was working fine except that the lower half of my screen sometimes flashed once when, for example, pressing play for a 720p Youtube video in Google Chrome or when beginning scrolling on a specific webpage. At any instance, the flash occurred once then stopped although it did occur off and on. The flash hasn't actually affected anything to my knowledge. I was able to watch 720p anime and movies without any issues. However, there was one movie that I watched which I experienced an excessive amount of frame drops despite the fact that the movie is five years old. I'm not sure what the cause of that is.

Anyway, I just recently started experiencing driver crashes again, so I have now installed the beta driver to see if that fixes the crashes and maybe even the flashes.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 08 April 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Are you monitoring the temps and voltages as I suggested.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Temps_Voltages.jpg

This was taken with a 720p Youtube video and a game client running. The driver hasn't crashed on me yet, but black lines did flash across my screen once when I loaded a Youtube video. It doesn't happen all the time, and when it does happen, it occurs once. I'll have ot leave HWMonitor running and see if something changes when and if the driver crashes again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Can you also check in the BIOS for voltage readings from the PSU, if they are present can you make a note of the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails and post them with your next update.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Can you also check in the BIOS for voltage readings from the PSU, if they are present can you make a note of the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails and post them with your next update.

I just checked, and the BIOS doesn't display such information, not even temperatures. I have the latest version, if that matters; it's 2.5.3, if I recall correctly.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 09 April 2014 - 03:00 PM.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I've made a list of some observations I've made regarding this issue. I can't initiate the issue at will because I'm not sure what's causing it. However, when it does occur at least once, I seem to be able to reproduce it.

- It seems to only happen on Youtube.com. It doesn't happen on other video websites even if it's a Youtube video embedded in the website. For instance, it doesn't happen when a Youtube video embedded in Veoh.com is loaded, but it does happen to that same video on Youtube.com.

- It only happens when a video is initially loaded and when the page is refreshed. It doesn't happen when I pause, resume, and replay a video.

- It has happened when I closed the browser while a Youtube video is playing.

- I tried installing Magic Actions for Youtube to force certain resolutions, and the issue can occur regardless of the resolution used.

Often, I'll get a solid black flash instead of black lines. This can occur on any website regardless of whether it has a video, and it can occur when restoring the browser, changing tab focus, or refreshing a webpage. It also happens when restoring my game client although it's less noticeable because the game client is already dark. The flash is quite fast but apparent. Unfortunately, like the black lines, I am unable to screenshot it because it simply happens too quickly.

Voltages and temperatures remain the same throughout these issues.

I have forced Youtube.com to use HTML5 to see if that makes any difference with the black lines.

- Sometimes a video will flash black (Not the webpage; just the video) when seeking while HTML5 is being used. This hasn't happened when using flash.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 09 April 2014 - 03:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sorry but I cannot help you with anything Youtube as I do not use it, I will say that it does not appear to be driver related though.

How is the beta driver that you tried.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I wonder if it is just related to Youtube? Last night, black lines flashed across my screen once on an anime website. The solid black flash can occur on any website and on my game client. Also, none of this has happened until I change graphic cards, which makes me think the card or driver is at least some way responsible. I'm debating whether I should exchange it for an nVidia card or another brand of AMD card to see if that solves the issue. If it does, then it is more than likely the card that is responsible for the issue in some way. What would be the most equivalent nVidia card to the Radeon 6450?

The beta driver hasn't crashed yet. Not while I was at the computer anyway. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Have you tried calibrating your screen in Windows 8, right click > Screen Resolution > What display settings should I use > Calibrating your display.

Display Colour Calibration helps you improve your display colour and make sure that colours are represented accurately on your screen.

To use Display Colour Calibration
  1. hh_ppeic.pngTap or click to open Display Colour Calibration. 1f9463c2-c968-47bf-9b4d-939c5d1af477_19. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

2. On the Welcome to Display Colour Calibration page, tap or click Next to continue.

3. On the Set basic colour settings page, press the Menu button on your monitor (it's likely to be on the front). An on-screen menu will appear. Use the monitor buttons to navigate through the on-screen menu to verify (or adjust) one or more of the following settings:

• Locate the colour menu for choosing the colour mode, then set your display to sRGB.

If you can see the option to select a colour temperature (also called a white point) rather than a colour mode, set the colour temperature to D65 (or 6500).

• Find the menu to set gamma. Set gamma to 2.2, which is the default setting.

• If you can’t find any of these settings, look for a setting in the on-screen menu which you can use to reset your display to the factory default colour settings, then choose that option.

• If the basic colour settings aren't shown in your monitor's on-screen menu, just tap or click Next to continue.

alertset_warning.png
    Note

The menu and monitor buttons vary depending on the model and manufacturer. To get help using the buttons for your monitor, check the manual or the manufacturer's website.

4. On each page in Display Colour Calibration, follow the on-screen instructions and tap or click Next when you've finished. The following list has more info about each of the settings.

• Gamma. This helps make sure that details like shades of colour and shadows look right on your screen.

• Brightness. This determines how dark colours and shadows appear on your screen. You can adjust brightness so that dark colours appear accurately, and so that you can still see shadows, outlines and other details in the darker images. If brightness is set too high, black colours appear light and grey. To adjust brightness settings, look for either a Brightness button or a Menu button on your monitor. If you're using a laptop, try adjusting the brightness by holding down the Fn key, then pressing the corresponding function key to increase (9310695f-0c78-46a0-bb08-aac97d46c8b5_27.) or decrease (90fb8aca-25c3-4027-9e8a-ffc0b94763bd_27.) the brightness of the display.
    • Contrast. This determines how white and light colours appear on your screen. You can adjust contrast so that highlights in images appear accurately. To change contrast settings, look for either a Contrast button or a Menu button on your monitor. (Laptops usually don't have contrast controls.)

• Colour balance. This improves how shades of grey appear on your screen.

5. On the You've successfully created a new calibration page, tap or click Previous calibration to see your old display calibration. Then tap or click Current calibration to see your new display calibration.

6. Do one of the following, depending on which calibration you want to use:

• To use the new calibration, tap or click Finish.

• To use the previous calibration, tap or click Cancel.

7. Select whether to use the ClearType Text Tuner to help make sure that text appears clearly with your new calibration. 

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

- I reset the monitor to its defaults although it was already set to its defaults.

- The default color temp. is warm. I set it to sRGB.

- There is no gamma function on the monitor, and the manual never mentions the term gamma.

Windows tells me to achieve the center image when adjusting gamma.

Image_001.jpg

This is what is displayed when I press next. I guess that is what it is set to currently. No matter how adjust the gamma, I cannot achieve anything even close to the image Windows suggests; and there is no way to input a specific gamma value nor does the slider display the current value. Also, adjusting the gamma and looking at the image hurts my eyes a lot; and it's hard to accurately determine whether the spots are actually visible.

Image_002.jpg

Edit: At the time of this post, my browser flashes white when I restore it.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 10 April 2014 - 08:22 PM.

Advertisements

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

It looks like I can adjust the gamma in the AMD Catalyst Control Center, but 2.2 looks extremely awful.

Image_001.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

What does applying the 3 CCC reset options look like.

What is the brand and model name or number of your screen.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I have an HP x20LED monitor.

The values are already at their defaults and this is what they look like.

I was going to post an image of what it looks like when I change the gamma to 2.2, but images aren't accurately representing the change for some reason. When I take the screenshot, the screenshot is accurate, but when I save the screenshot, the image is changed to look like the defaults.

Edit:

There's an auto-adjust function on the monitor. I followed the instructions and left the monitor run for at least 20 minutes. Then, I pressed the button and the monitor went through various adjustments. I have to say it looks exactly the same as before though. I suppose we'll see whether it's changed anything.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 11 April 2014 - 10:41 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

It may just be a coincidence but the first screen review mentions black lines across the screen;

rating.png
Broke after 2 months of use
03/09/2013
I purchased the HP 20" LED Widescreen Monitor for our new computer. After only 2 months of use, vertical lines started to appear in the middle of the screen. They just kept getting worse and worse and now there is a large black spot in the corner of the screen. Looks like a bullet shot the screen (obviously it didn't). There are also black dead areas all along the bottom of the screen and, the longer the monitor is on, the worse it all gets. Very disappointed in this monitor. That computer does not get used very often so it should not have failed anywhere near 2 months of time. I definitely will not purchase this again. I also noticed Walmart isn't stocking it anymore so my guess is someone knows this monitor is a dud and they pulled it from their inventory, more reviews here

How is it going since you used the auto adjust.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I didn't know that. I didn't buy this monitor. My uncle just picked it up one day since he knew my old one died, and my mother paid him for it since she used the computer at the time, too. I don't know whether it's unrelated, but the black lines I see are horizontal rather than vertical. The lines also appear across the entire screen, and not just around the middle.

I haven't seen the black lines for a little while, even before using the auto-adjust function. Having said that, I still often see a white flash when restoring my browser.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 12 April 2014 - 10:38 AM.