Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Component cooler and graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

- What do you mean when you say "I would apply the same free space reserve for smaller drives"?

- For 1TB plus drives, are you saying the amount of free space available on a partition becomes less important? Would it be fine if I had 20GB, for example, of free space available on a system partition on a 1TB drive?

- When you say 10% and 5%, do you mean that's how much space should be allocated to a partition? Or, do you mean that's how much free space should be available at all times, at least, to prevent corruption? Does this apply the same to all capacities of solid state drives?

- I uninstall nVidia drivers from the control panel as nVidia instructs on their website. I haven't been able to find an uninstall utility from nVidia. I use AMD's uninstall utility to remove their drivers. I'm not sure the issue with the nVidia card is a result of the driver. I've tried many and none of them work. I haven't seen the black and white lines that flicker across the monitor with the Asus Radeon 6450 as I did with the XFX Radeon 6450. However, sometimes the tabs in my browser go completely black. I have to move my cursor over every individual tab in order to make them appear again. I've also seen the browser flash white a couple of times when restoring it.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

What do you mean when you say "I would apply the same free space reserve for smaller drives"?

Applies to RAID arrays. 20% free space on drives up to 500GB, 15% for a 750GB, 10% for 1TB.   If you had a RAID0 with 2 x 1TB drives = 2TB of space, even using a heavy video application, you would not fill the drive.

For 1TB plus drives, are you saying the amount of free space available on a partition becomes less important? 

Only if the drive has a single partition using all available space, (no unallocated space.)   If it partitioned, then each one needs it's own free space.

Would it be fine if I had 20GB, for example, of free space available on a system partition on a 1TB drive?

It would depend on the size of the OS/Boot partition. Rather thank working with a nominal GB figure, work with a percentage of the partition size.   Every partition on a drive should have it's own free space.

- When you say 10% and 5%, do you mean that's how much space should be allocated to a partition? Or, do you mean that's how much free space should be available at all times, at least, to prevent corruption? Does this apply the same to all capacities of solid state drives?

I mean that's how much free space should be allocated on the drive.

Yes, applies to any sized SSD.

Try this uninstaller.  First, download the most current, not Beta, driver from you GPU's manufacturers website and save to the desktop.

Run the uninstaller in Safe Mode and create a restore point before starting. > http://www.guru3d.co...r_download.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the additional support iammykyl  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome. :thumbsup:

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Thanks. I'll give the uninstaller a try. But I still find it unclear whether the amount of free space available on a drive or partition is important and whether that has any relevance to data on a drive becoming corrupt. In one of his earlier posts, phillpower2 recommended that I should have between 20-20% free space available at all times on my drives and partitions to prevent the possibility of data becoming corrupt. In my case, he suggested I increase the amount of free space available from the 16GB that I had to between 40-50GB. So, I did although I have 36GB available currently because I downloaded a few things.

I'm wondering whether I should do this for solid state drives and raid arrays. I think an example might help me better understand. Let's say I purchased a 256GB solid state drive. Now, if I'm not mistaken, the amount of space seen by Windows will be about 240GB since the way Windows and manufacturers measure space is different, correct? So, Let's say I have 240GB free space on the solid state drive. Let's say I allocate 20% of the drive's capacity to the system partition, and the rest of the free space will be used for data. That means the system partition has 48GB allocated to it with 192GB left over for data. Let's say Windows and its updates takes up 30GB of the free space that was allocated. That leaves me with 18GB free space available on the system partition.

1) Should I increase the amount of free space that is available on the system partition from 18GB to back above 40GB, even if I don't think that additional space will be used for a while?

2) What happens if I store enough files on the data partition decreasing the amount of free space available from 192GB to 20GB? Should I remove files so that there is more free space available or does it not matter?

Edit:

This is off-topic but something I've been wondering. Is it important to keep an external hard disk drive that is used for storing movies and maybe other data defragmented? What if I stored system image files, too?

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 20 April 2014 - 05:55 PM.

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I ran the uninstaller both AMD and nVidia graphics; it seemed to help at first, but it didn't take long for the issues to return.

http://postimg.org/image/loydx4ohv/

http://postimg.org/image/y169ejolx/

http://postimg.org/image/xe4ve3gg5/

The issues get worse when using the Vibrance and Sharpen Complex 2 filters. In Windows, the right context-menu, start menu, and tool-tips also flash bright green or black. I've put the AMD card back in.

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 21 April 2014 - 10:55 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Reasons for needing free space on any drive/s include.   Virtual memory, Temp files, Local backups, Browser cache/history, Event/dump logs, Programs that use Swap files or grow, like an Email client.   Defrag needs space to juggle files about and sort, with insufficient space it goes at a crawl.  > http://www.insidetec...space-is-32264/

I would only partition a OS/Boot drive as a last resort if I only had the one internal HDD, OS programs partition, Data partition.   System performance is slower as you are writing and reading to two separate locations with the same heads, you can't do both at the same time.   If the drive fails, you loose both the system and your Data.

I would never parturition a SSD, say it was a 250GB, a  120GB would be OK for the OS/Programs, `130GB is to small for storage.   

I would try to have min of 2 x 1TB drives, fairly cheap, OS/Programs, DATA. or a SSD and a 1TB.   On all systems, some kind of backup, large USB stick or external HDD encloser like My Passport.

Yes, external HDDs need to be defraged.  

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I took another look at your previous posts, and I think I understand now. And thanks for the link. It helped me understand why a sufficient amount of free space is necessary at all times.

I have two 232GB drives at the moment. I installed Windows 8.1 on one drive while the other drive had Windows XP installed. I'm thinking about dual-booting with Linux, so the other drive that has Windows XP might not be available. I created a system partition for Windows 8.1 mainly as an experiment. I've never done it before and wanted to try it. I suppose I don't need it partition, but does it really matter? Either way, the OS and data will be on the same drive. I suppose it will make it easier for me to keep a sufficient amount of space for the OS since the drive won't be split into partitions though. That way, I don't have to keep adding space to the system partition as it becomes less and less with Windows updates.

Originally, I was going to build a new desktop. I was going to use a solid state drive for the OS and two 1TB or 2TB drives in a Raid 1 configuration for data. I realized I need the practicality of a portable computer though. I'm probably going to get a 2TB WD My Passport Ultra or Seagate Backup Plus Slim for data and system images.

It turns out that my external hard disk drive that I use for storage doesn't have any fragmentation, so I guess I don't need to worry about it right now.

-------

I'm noticing a white flash when I restore my browser with the Asus Radeon 6450. It's very apparent and somewhat difficult on the eyes. This is the only issue I've noticed so far.

These are my temps and voltages after a game client had been running for a while.

Image_004.jpg

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 23 April 2014 - 12:52 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Please go to Dell and run the Complete diagnostic test and let us know the results.

https://www.dell.com...stics/us/en/19/

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I can't seem to get past "Obtaining required tools." It's been sitting like this for a while with no indication of it still working. It shouldn't take this long just to see if the Dell System Detect Tool is already installed on my system. I've tried this in both Pale Moon and Internet Explorer.

-

http://postimg.org/image/48a0bsomt/

Edited by Sode no Shirayuki, 24 April 2014 - 02:55 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

could be a security setting preventing the tool from working.

Please go to the link below ,> select the OS and Version, > Select Diagnostic in the category window, > Click the Down Arrow, Diagnostics (2) . > click the Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics Utility  > Choose which format you want to use, > follow the instructions. 

http://www.dell.com/...Product/xps-400

This page has otter resources, > http://www.dell.com/...e-and-downloads

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I can't get either format to work. The application can't be run on Windows 8.1 (There is no Windows 8.1 download either) and the boot disc returns some sort of error.

-

I found this, installed it, ran it, and everything passed.

http://www.dell.com/.../support-center

I searched Google for "My Dell diagnostics application," which is the application that the link you originally linked to was trying to install, and found it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the update and that very useful link to the Dell Diagnostic.

You computer is unstable when using both video cards and using multiple different drivers so I think it is a hardware and not software issue.

Please do the following.

1.   With the PSU disconnected from the mains.   Disconnect the power and SATA cables to the HDD where W8 is installed.

> boot into XP, > disable the screensaver by, > right click on the desktop, > Click Properties, > click Screen saver on the top menu > select None, > Click Apply, > Click Close.

Test and describe what happens, i.e. computer freezes, restarts, BSOD.   is the display still corrupted. 

Sode no Shirayuki

Sode no Shirayuki

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

I tried to, but I can't boot into Windows XP without he drive that has Windows 8.1 installed. I think it's because Windows XP is using Windows 8.1's boot loader. I get error code 0x000000e.

I don't expect anything to happen. There is no driver installed for the Radeon 6450 on Windows XP because the AMD drivers haven't passed Windows' logo testing. Also, I don't see any colored lines when using the old nVidia 7300 LE with no driver installed; they only appear when a driver is installed. So, I don't expect to see the white flash with the Radeon 6450.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I tried to, but I can't boot into Windows XP without he drive that has Windows 8.1 installed. I think it's because Windows XP is using Windows 8.1's boot loader. I get error code 0x000000e.

You will never have a stable system when 2 OSes are sharing different Volumes, driver loading will be hit and miss.

The MBR loads drivers specific to the OS it is linked too, each OS must have it's own MBR on the same Volume.

You will need a fresh install of XP on one drive.   You can install W8 on the same drive, providing it has it's own Partition, or install it on a second drive.

Please list all the discs you have for XP.   Are they Dell discs, (usually 4) a XP OEM disc and MB drivers disc or a full Retail disc?

The W8 disc, Retail, OEM, a ISO download you then burned to CD?

Have you, or are you able to back up you important Data?