Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop getting slower

• Please log in to reply

Japp

Japp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

My laptop is been getting significantly slower lately. I used to play a decent game of starcraft 2 (on minimal graphic settings), while lately I'm literally unable to play. I could do a complete format and fresh install which usually helps, but it's just a matter of time before it becomes slow again.

I have an Toshiba satellite L500-128(about 5 years old), intel duo core t6600 2.2 ghz cpu, 4gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4500.

I have done a full virus scan, defrag on HDD, ive cleaned all temporary files, uninstalled all useless programs.
I've also opened up my laptop and cleaned the air input, output and fan.

I have ran coretemp and the temperature is between 80 and 90, even going as high as 93 degrees C sometimes. And this is not even at complex tasks, while streaming youtube my temp runs up to 90+. Also my CPU freezes for a few seconds every once in a while.
I have also ran the Intel processor diagnostics tool, which gave a good result.

Ive had a broken HDD about 1.5 years ago, which caused the same kind of problems. I replaced my HDD with another one from an unused laptop and it ran smooth since then. I ran HDTune to diag my HDD but it didn't seem to be faulty.

Does anybody have any idea what to do next?

Regards,

Jasper

P.S. : I noticed that the device manager tells me I have an T6600 2.2 ghz cpu, but the system information @ control panel tells me I have an T6500 2.1 ghz, isn't that strange?

P.S.2 : When I open the task manager, chrome.exe is opened like 10 times in the processes tab.

OTL Log:
OTL Extras logfile created on: 14-3-2014 12:57:36 - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 Folder = C:\Users\Jasper Schuurbiers\Desktop
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (Version = 6.0.6002) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.0.8112.16421)
Locale: 00000413 | Country: Netherlands | Language: NLD | Date Format: d-M-yyyy

2,96 Gb Total Physical Memory | 1,41 Gb Available Physical Memory | 47,53% Memory free
6,13 Gb Paging File | 4,46 Gb Available in Paging File | 72,81% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): ?:\pagefile.sys [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 296,62 Gb Total Space | 104,06 Gb Free Space | 35,08% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled2.jpg

Edited by phillpower2, 17 March 2014 - 05:38 AM.
OTL log removed as they are not used on these forums

Advertisements

Todd Evans

Todd Evans

• Pip
  • 6 posts
After 5 years I'm sure your thermal compound is hard as a rock and not transferring the heat any longer. Will this fix your issue, not sure however it would be a great place to start. This issue would cause overheating and CPU freezes.

Japp

Japp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Allright, so I'm gonna replace the cooling paste. Is there anything i should pay attention to while buying an certain kind of cooling paste?

Thnx in advance!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Japp

There is nothing at present to suggest that the thermal compound needs to be replaced, it normally outlasts the lifetime of the computer and tends to only need replacing if for some reason the cooler is removed from atop of the CPU/MBs integrated video chip in some cases.

Download and run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

Japp

Japp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ive replaced the paste, and the cpu temp is stable at around 50 degrees instead of 90 now. It doesnt freeze anymore and is ruining smoothly and fast again. Problems solved!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up  :thumbsup: