Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3rd party has access to my computer [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
for some reason my old machine seems to delay with the scrolling. it seems to be happening when Avast is installed. Any link?

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Here is the fixlist log. Thank you again for helping me. I did recently get some help in cleaning up my machine. I dont have ultimate trust in their work as i do with geeks to go. thats why im here...

You're very welcome, and thank you very much for the compliment to our staff here, it's much appreciated. :)

for some reason my old machine seems to delay with the scrolling. it seems to be happening when Avast is installed. Any link?

Hmm..could be a lack of memory in the old machine plus startups, or possible malware. We can close this thread out, and if you'd like, post a new thread regarding the old machine and we can take a look at it. :)

I'll go ahead and remove my tools. Please note: This will also remove old restore points on your machine and create a new infection free one. :thumbsup:

I also have some information for you, and protection against a new ransomware program called CryptoLocker.

Step 1: Tool Removal

• Download Delfix from here
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
    Also tick:
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore
    Posted Image
  • Click Run
  • The program will run and remove the tools from your machine.

Step 2: Tip, Information, and protection against CryptoLocker

Do not use P2P programs, as the majority of the files downloaded can be infected.

Watch what you open in your emails. If you get an email from an unknown source with any attached files, do not open it.

Be careful of the websites you visit.

When installing new programs, don't be "click happy" and click through the screens. Many programs come with adware in them and are set to install them by default. Several programs require that you uncheck or select no to prevent the installation. Take you time and read each screen as you go. :)

To help protect yourself while on the web, I recommend you read How did I get infected in the first place?

A warning about CryptoLocker

CryptoLocker is a ransomware program that was released around the beginning of September 2013 that targets all versions of Windows including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. This ransomware will encrypt certain files using a mixture of RSA & AES encryption. When it has finished encrypting your files, it will display a CryptoLocker payment program that prompts you to send a ransom of either $100 or $300 in order to decrypt the files. This screen will also display a timer stating that you have 72 hours, or 4 days, to pay the ransom or it will delete your encryption key and you will not have any way to decrypt your files. This ransom must be paid using MoneyPak vouchers or Bitcoins. Once you send the payment and it is verified, the program will decrypt the files that it encrypted.

Please download and install CryptoPrevent to lock your machine down from this infection.

Posted Image

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
i tried to download cryptoprevent. it was taking a long time. i stopped it. is this normal? if so i will try downloading again and let it go for a few minutes.

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

i tried to download cryptoprevent. it was taking a long time. i stopped it. is this normal? if so i will try downloading again and let it go for a few minutes.

Hmm...shouldn't take long at all as the file is only 791k. I just downloaded it to test it, and it went ok, give it another go. :thumbsup:

Gmr

Gmr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

ok It is downloaded.  i agreed to the terms and applied the crypto pgm.  What to do now?  is everything ok?  if so,  I would like to donate via paypal later this week after i get paid. 

thank you...

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

ok It is downloaded.  i agreed to the terms and applied the crypto pgm.  What to do now?  is everything ok?  if so,  I would like to donate via paypal later this week after i get paid. 

thank you...

We're good to go and good to hear that it's installed now.  That particular piece of ransomware is vicious.  There are cases popping up now where even after people paid the ransom, no code was given to decrypt their files. 

Thank you for your offer to donate :)  I've working on adding a donate button in my signature so that all you'll have to do is click it and it will take you straight a donations via Paypal page.  But if it's not there by the end of the week, you can send it to [email protected]

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.