Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

black screen blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

honeys04

honeys04

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP G60 laptop that I have had for several years now with Vista on it. Several months back we left, and came home and the laptop was showing a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. (Laptop worked fine before we left our house)

I have searched endlessly online trying to find a solution to no avail. I had my brother look at it, whom is better on computers then I am and he seemed to believe it was a hard drive issue.

I ordered a new hardrive which arrived last night. Factory hard drive is still in my laptop as I'm not sure how to even run what I need to, to install the new HD with the black screen.

I have no disks for this laptop either.

I'm going in blind here and really need some step by step help on how to resolve this issue. I just want my computer back up and running and have no idea what to do. ALL HELP is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: honeys04

Can I ask if you have tried booting into Safe Mode or checked for a system restore point.

Have you checked to see if there is a recovery partition on the present HDD, details here

If each of the above have been tried without success post back and let us know, we can then provide the information that you need to download a Vista ISO to use for a fresh installation, do you still have your 25 digit Vista product key, this will be needed if you need to do a fresh install of the OS.