Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hitman Pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

boblink

boblink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, Hitman Pro keeps popping-up when I open my browsers (Mozilla, IE and Chrome) on my HP W7 system.
I tried to remove it using Windows Control Panel Add-Remove Software but the unistall did not complete so I opened Regedit and was able to remove references of Hitman except for

DeviceDesc REG_SZ Hitman Pro.Alert Support Driver

and when I click DELETE, I get:

Error Deleting Values
Unable to delete all Specified Values

which appeared 3 separate times and Regedit would not allow me to remove/delete the
"find" Hitman references.

I did a search on my computer for Hitman but nothing showed up, I looked for Hitman in the Add-Ons of the browsers but could NOT find Hitman, the only place that it shows up is in the registry and the registry does NOT allow me to delete.

I would appreciate any help that you can offer.

Thank you,

Bob

Advertisements

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi there boblink. :)

Please don't edit the registry as this can sometimes make things worse. I don't even advise using registry cleaners, best to leave alone entirely :thumbsup:

Let's get an OTL scan to see what is going on.

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST OTL VERSION

• Using this link Download OTL and save it to your Desktop
  • If saved to another location, right click the OTL icon and Select Cut then right click on Desktop and select Paste
  • Right click the OTL icon and select Run as Administrator.
  • Make sure the following boxes are checked:
  • Scan All Users
  • Include 64bit Scans - If present.
  • Use Company-Name WhiteList
  • Skip Microsoft Files
  • Use No-Company-Name WhiteList
  • LOP Check
  • Purity Check
  • In the Extra Registry box select Use Safe List
  • Copy and paste the following into the Custom Scans\Fixes box without the word Quote.

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    dir C:\ /S /A:L /C

• Now Click Run Scan
  • OTL will now scan your computer and produce 2 log files. OTL.txt and Extras.txt.
  • Post both in your next reply

Things I want to see in your next post.

• OTL.txt
  • Extras.txt

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you for your help Nurloaf, I was getting desperate after no seeing a reply for a couple of days so I started searching the Internet for anything that I could find on Hitman Pro and came across a an abbreviation of hm[ (HitManPro, why didn't I think of that) and found htmalert on my computer and deleted it. The system a[[ears to be back to normal so I thank you for your offer to help, at least for now, and will post again if rge problem or any other problem occurs and I will Wait for a reply next time because I believe that I was lucky this time and want to depend on more than luck
Thank you again Nutloaf
Bob

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Thanks for getting back to me on this......but!.....

Why were you using HitmanPro in the first place? The reason I ask is that you must have been having problems with malware to use it.

If you are still worried or want an all clear then you can carry out the OTL scan, up to you :thumbsup:

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Why were you using HitmanPro in the first place?

The best answer is because I'm a glutton for punishment.
I had a problem on a different system a few years ago and Hitman was the program that saved my butt and thought that I might install it on this system to ensure that everything is running smoothly, I know, if it ain't broke DON'T fix it.
Anyway, I ran Hitman and Hitman liked my system so much that it didn't want to go away until I discovered Hitmans alias, hmp.
Thank you again for your help Nutloaf, I'm sure I'll be back soon asking for help again since I apparently can't avoid getting myself in doo-doo.
Bob

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Ok, but be careful as it is a powerful tool that can leave you with an unbootable system if not used correctly. Better still come here first :)