Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help - Incredibly Slow Dell Inspiron Mini 1012

• Please log in to reply

rugger

rugger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The following very thorough thread brought me here...and gave me hope.
http://www.geekstogo...w-mini-netbook/

Because configurations are completely different I believe it's best to start from scratch with mine. Also, I was very surprised to see that Start Up doesn't indicate an overabundance of programs running.

My boys both rec'd these Dell Minis a couple years ago as gifts, but they are slow they are practically useless. Performance is pretty poor no matter what you do on it. Youtube videos stream poorly, as do embedded videos on other sites - no matter what the connection is on wifi or wired, sound and video are out of sync. Up/Down arrows for scrolling lag, pretty much anything you can think of lags.

I'd like to deal with them one at a time, in the event the configs are different.

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 1012
Intel Atom CPU N450 1.67ghz
RAM 1gb
Windows 7 Starter with SP1 - 32 bit

Per the linked post above, I have the CCleaner, Minitoolbox, Farbar, MSConfig information available, please let me know if you need that information or any additional information.

I greatly appreciate the assistance!
Thanks,
Eric

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: rugger

Can I ask how much free storage space is available on the hard drive and what AV protection is being used.

Swapping out the 1GB stick of Ram and inserting a 2GB stick will help with all round performance.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Can you please post the minitoolbox log from the thread that you linked to, so we can get started.