Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MISSING DFRG.DLL

• Please log in to reply

GABBY18457

GABBY18457

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am missing the file dfrg.dll as a result I keep getting this error message when I try to dfrag "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. It recommends you shut down and restart MMC" I have tryed all the usual things I cant reinstall my diskdefrag because I am missing the drfg.dll file these are the only dfrg files I have in the windows.inf folder dfrg which is a "notepad" and dfrg.PNF I have no dfrg.dll to rgt click and install

Edited by GABBY18457, 18 March 2014 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: GABBY18457

Can you tell us what you have tried please.
Do you have an installation or system restore disk in case a repair installation is needed.

If you havn`t yet run chkdsk /r the steps are below;

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for an hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS

This can take several hours to complete.

When completed it will hopefully boot the system back into Windows.

Thanks to RonShaffer61 for the above instructions :thumbsup:

GABBY18457

GABBY18457

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your response I have tried going to mmc and add a snap-in that my error messagew says I am missing. but when I click on add/remove snapin's I get an error message and says would I like to send a report to microsoft, if I say yes it sends it if I say no the mmc closes, and I start all over, I also tried run this command: regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll it came up success next regsvr32 dfrgui.dll it also said success. Then I tried to run defrag and got same message as before. One suggestion was go to INF files and rgt click dfrg.dll and install, problem is I am missing the dfrg.dll file. I do not have an installation disk or if I do I'm not sure which one has the defrag program.

Edited by GABBY18457, 18 March 2014 - 05:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this happening.

1st: Try Last Known Good Configuration

Then as in my reply #2 run Chkdsk /r as this can recover readable data which may resolve the problem + it will check for bad sectors on the HDD which is worth doing in case it is the root cause of the issue.

You are welcome btw :)

GABBY18457

GABBY18457

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Phil I tryed the check disc and it said it found no problems, I still cant run defrag, I tryed restoration to another time with no go. I have had thia problem for some time now and haven't added any new programs or software since this has happened, I think the key is that I am missing the file dfrg.dll and in the windows INF files missing dfrag.Inf. I have seen several blogs about rgt clicking the defrag.Inf file and hit reinstall, but I dont even have the file anymore.I have a Dell demension 2400 and the disks that came with it but I don't know which disk I reinstall that has the defrag files on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Try steps 2, 3 and 4 "Windows Repair (All In One) here (including creating the system restore point option) please.

You are welcome btw :)