Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SAMSUNG NP350U2B - Can't Boot From USB (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi folks,

I've got a Samsung NP350U2B netbook. A couple of weeks ago the HD became damaged and unusable and I have just gotten round to replacing it. I have removed and fitted the new HD physically. However, I can't boot from a USB optical drive or a USB pen drive to re-install my O.S

I have tried various tools to create a bootable USB drive with no success + the USB optical drive that i've used to boot from with loads of other netbooks doesnt seem to work.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: ChrisBoote

I can't boot from a USB optical drive or a USB pen drive to re-install my O.S

Can you explain what exactly happens or doesn`t happen.

If it is a USB port problem and your devices are not working in them check that the USB ports are enabled in the BIOS.

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I plug in the USB drive or USB pen they aren't listed in the bios.

You can see [USB CDROM] etc. But there are no specifics about the device that is connected - as there is with the SATA HD. It's like it is not recognising the device is connected.

[HDD]SAMSUNG320 for example is the HD. But the [USB CDROM] Just stays blank.

The BIOS is quite simple and there isnt an option for enabling USB. I have tried it with both UEFI Boot enabled and disabled. Makes no difference.

If I don't go to the BIOS then it just appears 'insert proper boot media and press a key'

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
When you tried booting from the USB thumb drive did you change the boot sequence to the USB HDD option as outlined in the screenshot.

Is the UEFI boot option found on the same BIOS page as the second screenshot.

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

When you tried booting from the USB thumb drive did you change the boot sequence to the USB HDD option as outlined in the screenshot.

Is the UEFI boot option found on the same BIOS page as the second screenshot.

Yes - I changed boot priority to both USB HD and USB CD - neither seem to work and both show N/A even when the devices are connected.

Yes - The 'UEFI Boot Support' option is on the Advanced tab of the BIOS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Have you tried pressing F9 to restore the default factory settings that would make the USB CD drive** the first boot device.

**The Samsung BIOS showing a USB CD boot device is misleading as you cannot install Vista, 7 or 8/8.1 from a CD type drive, it must be a DVD device due to the video content the newer OSs contain, just putting this here for anyone that reads your topic and is not aware of this.

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Have you tried pressing F9 to restore the default factory settings that would make the USB CD drive** the first boot device.

**The Samsung BIOS showing a USB CD boot device is misleading as you cannot install Vista, 7 or 8/8.1 from a CD type drive, it must be a DVD device due to the video content the newer OSs contain, just putting this here for anyone that reads your topic and is not aware of this.

Yes have tried loading optimized defaults. Yes, good tip about CD type drive. Oh and just a heads up. I am employed as an IT Technician so as you can imagine I have tried most of the obvious. I thought about updating the BIOS, giving that a go but of course I can't boot from anything to do that! :angry:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Sorry to have suggested the obvious steps :(

Never done this myself but you may have (it`s over my head), what about installing the OS via a server if the notebook will boot from PXE, guide here

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
I take it then that you cannot make the Network the first boot option.

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes, I could. Just seems a [bleep] of a lot of work just to Install an OS - creating a PXE on the server.

ChrisBoote

ChrisBoote

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Now Solved!

I installed W7 on the SATA drive through a similar SAMSUNG netbook. Once I was into the O.S - I upgraded the BIOS. Now letting me boot from USB. Thanks for all the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
That`s great news and thanks for sharing the solution :thumbsup:

Fortunate that you had another Samsung notebook to hand with the same or a similar BIOS ;)

You are welcome btw, I am pleased that you got it sorted :)

a_baranoff

a_baranoff

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Guys, I had exactly the same issue.

I solved it simplier.

Seems like device do not recognize USB  drive which is inserted after turning on the notebook.

I just turned it off, inserted USB drive, then turned notebook on and USB drive appeared in menu (on last screenshot).

Hope this will help somebody not to disassemble notebook once more.

Edited by a_baranoff, 14 December 2014 - 10:22 AM.

escape-e

escape-e

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Maybe it is a very old subject, but it will be useful to those who come with google like me. I solved this boot problem with the help of the following video. maybe it will help you too.