Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does the PSU effect anything on the performance on the computer?

• Please log in to reply

BrianMatrix

BrianMatrix

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, basically I am a gamer, and where the genre goes is MOBA (LoL, DotA 2, HoN, etc), MMORPG (WoW, FlyFF, GW2, etc) and FPS (CoD, BF, Titanfall, etc)

So, my computer specs is like this:

PSU -> Silver Power SP-SS500 500W
GPU -> AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB OC
CPU -> Intelcore i5 4670k Haswell, 3.4GHz
RAM -> 12GB 1333 MHz
HDD -> 7200 RPM, 1TB
It's 7 fans (Including CPU fan, and fans on GPU)

so.
I have no problems with FPS on FPS' and MOBA', where I get about 60-120 fps plain.
But when I come to MMORPG', like WoW and Gw2, my framerate drops hard.
On WoW when I play on the lowest settings possible I'm lucky if I get 30-40 fps
and on Guild Wars 2 if I play on lowest settings possible I'm lucky if I get 15 fps

So here is the thing I found weird,
my laptop with lowered specs, (Intel 1000 gpu, 2.4 dual-core CPU, and 4gb ram) can play WoW on medium/high with 50-60 fps no problem
and GW2 on lowest with 35-40 fps

I've checked my RAM, GPU and CPU where it is no problems at all (on my desktop computer), like no failures with the hardware. I did a new format install of windows and installed the MMORPG' over again with the same result.
So I am wondering, could it be that my PSU is too weak?
Do you think I would get a better performance if I switched up to a 750 Watt PSU?

In advanced thanks for the answers!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: BrianMatrix

The PSU is borderline as when it was independently tested it only put out 408W, it does have enough amps though across the two +12V rails, see database here

Your Ram is the slower 1333 MHz whereas the faster 1600 MHz would be more appropriate for your usage, this again though is most likely secondary.

Can I ask how you connect to the internet on the desktop as in dial up or broadband etc.

Do a Ping test and see what your results are, details here

BrianMatrix

BrianMatrix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

:welcome: BrianMatrix

The PSU is borderline as when it was independently tested it only put out 408W, it does have enough amps though across the two +12V rails, see database here

Your Ram is the slower 1333 MHz whereas the faster 1600 MHz would be more appropriate for your usage, this again though is most likely secondary.

Can I ask how you connect to the internet on the desktop as in dial up or broadband etc.

Do a Ping test and see what your results are, details here

I'm using wired-internet connection, fiberoptic internet 40/40 mbps network

Ping: 31 ms
Jitter: 2ms

And thank you for the warmth welcome :)

Edited by BrianMatrix, 19 March 2014 - 09:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sorry for the delay.

Those results are very good but was that when you were gaming.

What AV (anti virus) software and browser do you use

BrianMatrix

BrianMatrix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Sorry for the delay.

Those results are very good but was that when you were gaming.

What AV (anti virus) software and browser do you use

That was when I was gaming indeed,
I am not using any AV, but I use Firefox software

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Those results are very good then so I suspect that drop in performance that you get is caused by internet traffic, check for any unnecessary add - ons, plug ins etc Disable or remove Add-ons

You really should get your system protected by a free AV such as Avast, especially as you spend time online gaming.

BrianMatrix

BrianMatrix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Those results are very good then so I suspect that drop in performance that you get is caused by internet traffic, check for any unnecessary add - ons, plug ins etc Disable or remove Add-ons

You really should get your system protected by a free AV such as Avast, especially as you spend time online gaming.

There isn't any addons on firefox, I've checked for things in my process-tree that's up, nothing more than GW2 or WoW (Tried both)
My laptop is running with the same wired connection with more stuff going on, and still performs better than my desktop..
for me it doesn't make any sense :/

I don't think I need AV,
I've bought the pro-version of avast 2-3 months ago, but I did never get any virus errors, or anything, so I just stopped using it after the format of the PC

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Try the Valley Benchmark tool (free) from here

I can think of nothing other than the 1333 MHz Ram may be causing a bottleneck, not the quantity but the speed.

Let us know how the benchmark test goes.

BrianMatrix

BrianMatrix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Try the Valley Benchmark tool (free) from here

I can think of nothing other than the 1333 MHz Ram may be causing a bottleneck, not the quantity but the speed.

Let us know how the benchmark test goes.

No need for help anymore :)

Today I got a new PSU and a GPU for free by one of my friends.
The PSU was upgraded from 500W to 700W
But the GPU was downgraded from 7850 HD 2gb, to GTX 560ti 1gb.

But,

WoW with 7850 card:
- Max Graphics = 15-19 FPS
- Lowest Graphics = 30-40 FPS

WoW with 560ti card:
- Max Graphics = 40 - 50 FPS
- Lowest Graphics = 120-140 FPS

I think I just had a broken graphics card which had a problem with rendering the landscape, terrain etc
It's funny, that I downgraded to a card that's worse, but still it performs better..

Thanks for all the troubleshooting though! It was really helpful, and I will most likely keep stuck to this website :D

Close..? o.o

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are most welcome and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup: