Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Large amount of memory taken up in D Drive

• Please log in to reply

satrus08

satrus08

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I noticed that a large amount of space was being taken up on my D partition. I pinpointed it to three files which had a .cpt extension. Each one takes up 50gb. Not sure if this is relevant info, but my OS is installed on the D partition. Also, the three .cpt files are in the root directory of the D partition. I was wondering what those .cpt files are. Is it safe to remove them? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Actually not sure if the OS is on D partition. Just checked the partition manager that comes with windows, and it says that the C: Drive is the boot partition, and D: Drive is a logical partition. I have another partition that says its the system partition but it does not have a logical name. Sorry if what I am saying does not make sense, I am kind of new to all this.

Edited by satrus08, 19 March 2014 - 11:45 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: satrus08

Have you ever used any Corel Draw products such as the photo software.

satrus08

satrus08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the fast response :)! I searched up the extension on google and found similar results to you with people saying its for Corel Software, however, I have not used any Corel Software or created any files for the software.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here

Next run Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902
Select the Filter out Microsoft & Windows Results options please.

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

Autoruns Tutorial

satrus08

satrus08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Speccy resultant URL: http://speccy.pirifo...nap0hQzSkRjTvUg

Autoruns text file is attached.

Also I would like to mention that it has been like that for a long time. I just never took the time to pinpoint what was taking up all that space till now.

Attached Files

Edited by satrus08, 19 March 2014 - 01:45 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the Speccy and Autoruns log :thumbsup:

No signs of what you refer to but what I will mention is that you need to back up some data from your Transcend thumb drive and then delete some of the data to free up some space, if you don`t you risk data corruption and the failure of the device with the loss of all data on it.

Your Autoruns log shows that you have a lot of unecassary programs running on start up so when it is appropriate I can help you sort through them which will help to improve the computers performance.

Let`s take a look at the Disk Management;

1.Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2.Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3.In the System and Security window, click on theAdministrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4.In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5.When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.

Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

satrus08

satrus08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
About the transcend flash drive, it probably showed up like that in the log because, at the time of running speccy, I was formatting the transcend to change its file system to exFAT.

Hmm, normally for startup management, I just use the msconfig tool. I will attach a screenshot of my startup tab. As you can see, there are only a few programs checked. Is the msconfig tool not accurate, or does the Autoruns tool show startup processes that msconfig does not?

I have 5 partitions listed in Disk Management. A Recovery Partition. An unallocated partition of 47mb (not sure why, maybe my father created it for some reason). A system reserved partition of 100MB. Also, as I mentioned in first post I have the C: partition that states it is the boot, page file, and crash dump partition. Lastly I have the D: partition which is listed just as a logical drive. I will attach a screenshot of the disk management page as well.

Also, I would like to mention, these 3 files taking up space is not new. It has been like that for a long time. I just pinpointed that those specific three files were what is taking up all that memory recently, and so I wanted to know what those files were and if its safe to delete. When we got my computer, my father just put alot of the software that he usually puts on his pc into my D: Drive, for example (random examples), comodo, 7z., chrome, firefox, etc. Is it possible that the 3 .cpt files are just harmless files that he accidentally copied along with the others?

Lastly, I would really like to thank you for the patience and support you are showing me :). Just the fact that you replied so fast to my thread actually made me make my mind that I would try to frequent these forums as much as I can, giving advice to other users with what limited knowledge I have. In short I would like to help others on this forum the way you helped me!

EDIT: Woa, just looking over my post and saw the Apple push service running at start up in the screenshot. Time to uncheck that haha xD

EDIT 2: Also if it is not too much trouble, can you correct me if I am using any incorrect terminology, or if the terminology I am using is incorrect? I would like to learn more, that's why. Only if its not too much of a hassle, thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• startup.png
  • Disk Management.png

Edited by satrus08, 20 March 2014 - 01:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The cleanest way of doing this is for you to format the HDD and make the data on it your own :yes:

Your OS should be on it`s own partition away from any other data that may corrupt it so my suggestion would be for a 120GB partition on the HDD and the rest for data only, let us know if you have an OS disk or if you need help with obtaining an ISO.

Please do stick around here at GTG and share your knowledge on the forums and if you feel that you have information that may help a fellow member, post your assistance on any forum other than malware and I am sure that your input will be gratefully received :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw and your terminology is appropriate ;)

satrus08

satrus08

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes I should probably do it that way. Right now both partitions are split 50-50 of my total memory.
Anyway I created a backup and a system restore point, and then just took a leap and deleted the three cpt files. Restarted my computer, everything is fine :) Thank you for all the help! Is there a way that I should close the topic, or do you guys handle that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Fortune favours the brave satrus08 :D the fact that each file had the same name and was taking up the same amount of storage space** may suggest that the second and third files were in fact duplicates.

JFYI: Topics are not closed on the hardware forums unless by a specific request to a Moderator or Admin or there is a breach of the GTG TOU, neither are the case here :thumbsup:

** Memory refers to your Ram (random access memory) the data that you save on a HDD, SSD or flash drive etc is saved on/in storage space, the difference being that once the power has been turned off to the computer any data that the Ram was holding will be lost whereas with a storage device the data held there will be retained.