Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with new win 7 pro computer

• Please log in to reply

mrvinnie

mrvinnie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
installed office 2003 on new win 7 computer, moved 3 excel files to new computer.entered info into checkbook register, it did all the calculations. went to save it and said it was read only. checked preferences and read only was clear. also get message the file name or path does not exist- the file is being used by another program- the workbook you are trying to save has the same name as currently open workbook. If i put the file on a thumb drive and run it from thumb drive it works perfectly.something happens when i put the file onto the win 7 hard drive. I am stumped. any help will be appreciated. mrvinnie

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi mrvinnie :welcome:

Please enlighten me, where did the 3 Excel files resided before you move them?

Try copy instead of move.

mrvinnie

mrvinnie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
SD, i installed office 2003 to win 7 computer from disc. then copied all excel files to thumb drive.installed folders and files from thumb drive to win 7 computer.all the other suites work well, i.e.word etc. only the spreadsheets cannot be saved on the win 7 computer.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

SD, i installed office 2003 to win 7 computer from disc. then copied all excel files to thumb drive.installed folders and files from thumb drive to win 7 computer.all the other suites work well, i.e.word etc. only the spreadsheets cannot be saved on the win 7 computer.

installed folders and files??

Do you know if the thumb drive is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?