Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Freezing/Restarts while streaming video & during startup

• Please log in to reply

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have actually had luck on that front. I have made contact with the tech guy at my mother's work who has a bunch of spare parts around. He gave me a GPU to test ouy awhile back and I think he might have an extra PSU. Otherwise, my brother will be home from college in 2 weeks and he'll have his computer with him.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts

:thumbsup:  

please post when you get a result.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hey there,

So I managed to get my hands on another power supply. It is the same exact make and model of the power supply that I currently have in my computer. After installing it, I did get a reboot upon start up but its been running okay for about 20 minutes now. I'm going to continue to use it for awhile to see if anything happens-- I'll check in later on this evening with any updates. I did take a new screenshot of HWMoniter with this power supply in so that you could check out the voltages.

Attached Thumbnails

• HwMonitor3.jpg

Edited by Katehsparrow, 28 April 2014 - 03:24 PM.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Alrighty, I have bad news. Swapping out the power supply didn't work. :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

Let us consider other options such as a bad case switch/button or a short circuit. 

I suggest that you remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram, the HDD and the keyboard/mouse.

IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate (see attachment below for the correct pins on your MB) you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component.

Other things worth checking include, if you used standoffs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason. 

Let us know how it goes or if you have any questions along the way.

Attached Thumbnails

• gig pins.jpg

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

After following your instructions, it seems like everything is up and running smoothly. I've been using the computer for about an hour doing different things-- I managed to connect it to the internet so I was a browsing the web, watching videos and playing games to see if any of it would trigger a reboot. So far, so good. :thumbsup:

It looks like I'm going to have to contact Rosewill about a new case.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

While you have the barebones set up running and online please allow Windows and your AV protection to be fully updated as a priority, once this has been done use the computer as you normally would, this includes using the correct procedure to shut it down when you have finished using it, restart it as normal the next time that you wish to use it and see how it goes.

NB: Have you checked the case standoffs, wiring and for any stray screws, is the MBs backplate securely and snugly in place at the back of the computer case - this provides grounding for the MB and rear ports such as the USBs etc.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Windows and AV are fully updated. :)

I've checked the case standoffs and they are snugly screwed into place. I didn't find any stray screws in the case, nor any stripped wires. I checked when I removed everything that the MB aligned correctly with the standoffs and that there weren't any extras touching the MB where they shouldn't be. The MB was also secured snugly in place before I took everything out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,019 posts

:thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts

Good move Phillpower2 doing the barebones.

Looks very much like the case but I would also test, one at a time, the Optical drive, any other HDD installed, any other hardware that was plugged into the MB when getting the reboots. 

Advertisements

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Popping back in to say that I followed your advice, iammykyl. I had to rebuild the barebones because I dont have a space to leave it out like that and have two overly curious cats.

I plugged in the optical drive and got a reboot. Everything is set up exactly as it was before- nothing from the case is attached. The only thing is- im not sure if the stick of RAM I have in is the same stick that I was testing with the other day. Ive been trying to trigger reboots to I can switch the sticks and rule them out entirely like but of course now the stupid thing doesnt want to reboot when I want it to! Sigh...

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
So my insticts about the RAM were correct. I got a reboot with the optical drive plugged in and without it. The thing is that the reboots are really only happening with both sticks of RAM in...ive tried switching the slots but I cant say for certain that it is one stick or the other.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,759 posts

Looks like I ruled out the RAM to early.  If the following fails, I suggest RAM est again.   Put a small piece of sticky tape on the side of one stick so you know which is which. 

Have to ask, on the original build, did you install the I/O shield that came in the MB box, into the case?

If connected, disconnect all connection to the case, i.e..  USB header, sound, case fans/controllers, and the OD, other HDDs.   Leave both sides of the case open.   Start computer, > enter BIOS, > check RAM speed and voltage are correctly detected and set. > Boot and then test.

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Haha, yes. I have the I/O shied installed and it was installed on the original build. :)

Did as you said-- checked the RAM speed and voltage, they are at 1600 and 1.5 respectively which seems correct. Still got a reboot, though. For that, I had both sticks of RAM in at the same time.

You suggest another RAM test-- should I run Memtest again or is there something different I should do this time?

Here's what I'm thinking and you can let me know if I am completely off base-- which is entirely possible because all of my computer hardware knowledge has come from this pesky little problem. I'm wondering if the reason why I'm getting reboots more frequently when I have 2 sticks of RAM in vs. 1 is because the RAM isn't on the motherboard's compatibility list, as Phil mentioned back at the beginning. Could it be that this kind of RAM is simply incompatible with my MB and the problem is emphasised with 2 sticks of RAM in? I know that Phil also mentioned that just because my RAM isn't on that list doesn't mean that its incompatible... but his comment stuck in my head.

I'm thinking of ordering RAM off of the compatibility list and testing to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, it can always be returned and then at least the RAM is ruled out completely. I checked to see if any of my contacts (a.k.a my brother) have RAM that is on that list, but no such luck. Of course, we know that his RAM works, even if it isn't on the list, and it would be cheaper just to use his to test-- what do you think? I hope that all made sense! :)

Katehsparrow

Katehsparrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

One more thought. I was looking at reviews for my RAM to see if there was any knowledge to glean from them and I found something interesting in a response that G.SKILL made to one person who claimed that their RAM had died:

"This memory kit is above standard, so please make sure to configure settings in BIOS/EFI. Without the proper memory configuration, it can cause the memory to corrupt over time. For this memory kit, DRAM Frequency, DRAM Timings, and DRAM Voltage need to be input. For certain motherboard and CPU combinations, you can enable the XMP/DOCP/EOCP performance profile. Depending on CPU, further tweaks may be necessary as not all CPUs can natively support DDR3-1600."

I was curious about the DRAM Timings...I took a look in BIOS and my timings read as:

CAS Latency: 11

tRCD: 11

tRP: 11

tRAS:28

I have no idea what any of this means but I noted that in the specifications for my RAM it says on G.SKILL's website: "Tested Latency: 9-9-9-24-2N"

-shrug- I don't know... figured I would just mention it.