Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD after new videocard

• Please log in to reply

HaraMo

HaraMo

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Dear

it's about the pc:

HP Compaq dc7600 Convertible Minitower, Hewlett-Packard,

Windows XP prof, Service Pack 3

The build in videocard is not working correctly, so a new card is installed:
ATI Radeon HD 5450.

I first installed the software deliverd with it. After I updated to the newest driver.

I disabled in msconfig:
ati hotkey poller (service)
CLIstart

I noticed just now that in devicemanager an exclamation mark is shown at the videocard:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I already have the newest update of the driver, directX9.0C is installed ( latest direct X for XP).

But BSOD keeps happening, especially if I'm on you tube. whochrased finds :

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 21/03/2014 06:48:53 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini032114-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ativvaxx.sys (ativvaxx+0x1CDF7)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF88FABB20, 0xFFFFFFFF898066E0, 0xFFFFFFFFBA4D7CB4, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ativvaxx.sys .
Google query: ativvaxx.sys THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

On Wed 19/03/2014 17:30:45 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031914-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ativvaxx.sys (ativvaxx+0x1CDF7)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF88DE3370, 0xFFFFFFFF89A3F1A0, 0xFFFFFFFFBA4E3CB4, 0x1)
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ativvaxx.sys .

On Wed 19/03/2014 13:21:32 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031914-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ati2mtag.sys (ati2mtag+0x1051F)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF88FB0638, 0xFFFFFFFF89807C20, 0xFFFFFFFFBA4E3CB4, 0x1)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys
product: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver
company: ATI Technologies Inc.
description: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ati2mtag.sys (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: ATI Technologies Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

On Wed 19/03/2014 12:54:27 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031914-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ati2mtag.sys (ati2mtag+0x4C96)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF88FFD810, 0xFFFFFFFF897FEF60, 0xFFFFFFFFBA4DBCB4, 0x1)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ati2mtag.sys
product: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver
company: ATI Technologies Inc.
description: ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ati2mtag.sys (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.).
Google query: ATI Technologies Inc. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

On Tue 18/03/2014 06:40:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini031814-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF889D1598, 0xFFFFFFFF89808CC8, 0xFFFFFFFFBA4D3CB4, 0x1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ati2mtag.sys (ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver, ATI Technologies Inc.)
ativvaxx.sys

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Uninstall the driver you have then reinstall the one from the CD. If that works, leave it, don't update it.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
I have done what you said, and untill now no BSOD.

The reason I updated to newest drivers is beacause I had another error (out of range message: analog, out of range, 74.9kHz / 60Hz).

This time I only installed the drivers and the manager(obliged to install) (not the ATI catalyst center, as this is not needed.

a long you tube video is playing now 5 hours, pc is still on.

So best is to stay away from updates? or maybe if the ati catalyst was the cause, I can maybe update only the drivers?

But 'm satisfied now with the drivers deliverd with the card.

I think it's ok. Thanks a lot.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
Only thing Weird is that the top of the Internet explorer screen is black.

I found something on the intenret: enable 'use high contrast', then disable it back.

results? most black is away, but the menubar stays black and the options (menu, tools, ..) are not readible.

But enabling an disabling only helps for that moment. the top turns black again (after restart), not always, but mostly.

Can the videodriver the cause of this? Maybe update the drivers without installing the ati catalyst center?

Edited by HaraMo, 22 March 2014 - 01:21 PM.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
I found something else on the internet:

best performance is enabled, i went back to best appereance, then menubar showed correctly. Then turned back to best performance.

Seems ok now. Let's give it a test... .

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
After rebooting the pc i received the following error

ATI external event utility EXE module has encountered a problem and needs to be close. we are sorry for the inconvenience.

It's not the first time I rebooted the pc. Untill now, I did not had the error.

Just rebooted again, not error on my screen... .

Mayby nothing to worry about?

Edited by HaraMo, 22 March 2014 - 03:06 PM.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
and that black menubar and also the other bars, is back again.. hmm

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Perhaps go to the ATI site and try different driver versions? Not the latest but newer than is on the CD?

Other than that, I don't have any ideas. Maybe someone else does?

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
I put it back on best appearance. this fare no black menubar and black bars at the top of internet explorer 8.0.

I think it has something to do with IE8.0, as I 'm not the only one.

But If it works like this, I'm happy.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'd suggest trying Firefox. If no problems stay with it. Firefox is still being developed and updated. IE8 is dead dead dead.

HaraMo

HaraMo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Then it will be secure if I uninstall 8.0. OK, thanks for the update.

Edited by HaraMo, 27 March 2014 - 11:59 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You can't completely uninstall IE so best to leave IE8 there, just don't use it.

If you uninstall IE8 you get IE7. If you uninstall IE7 (if even possible) you get IE6.