Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Lag but 10-20% RAM & CPU use; Safe Mode Inaccessible

safe mode lag unexplained anti-virus kaspersky eset nod32 avast fail crash firewall

• Please log in to reply

SpaceOctopus

SpaceOctopus

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there,
I figured I'd try this again, because the first time I didn't include some information that is important (forgot) & because my post was apparently annoying to look at.

Anyways, I'd very much appreciate some help. I've been having issues for a few weeks now.

There are a bunch of issues that I'm having & I don't know how to even start diagnosing them (usually I would try to fix problems myself).

• Extreme hanging, lagging & being forced to kill proccesses with seemingly no reason; RAM & CPU usage are minimal almost every time this happens.
  • I just recently noticed that there are quite a few running proccesses listed twice for some reason, sometimes having differen't amounts of RAM usage, but not always. So I suspect somehow some proccesses are being loaded twice & yet only show me one of them (with a window or something)
  • I've actually been unable to get into safe mode for about a month now. I know I should have tried getting help sooner, but things are mess for me right now. Anyways, whenever I try to get into safe mode, this is what happens: boots fine, then gets me to the login screen & I try typing in my password & before I get a chance to even type 3 letters or so, it automatically restarts itself and sends me through the boot proccess back to the normal login.
  • Weird issues with Private Firewall I've never had before, where the usual notifcation window pops up & requires input, but after receiving input, it basically hangs for almost 10 minutes unless/until I have to kill it. I've had it take a while before, but never had this kind of problem.
  • I was having a very strange issue where (for example) I'd be loading something like Gimp & unknowingly getting error messages requiring me to click "ok", except they weren't appearing & wouldn't appear until I hit ctrl+alt+del & then they would all push through, as if something was holding them back
  • Other issues I for some reason can't remember this very moment(sorry)... but it's sort of useable right now.

So I haven't done much to really explain any of this other than having uninstalled Avast, installed & tried Kaspersky Pure, then installed ESET NOD32 & uninstalled Kaspersky over the last few weeks. All other installations were very minimal & I don't believe any of them would have really caused this.

I'm at a loss, is there something you can recommend to me to troubleshoot my problems, or just give me a place to start? I don't even know what to look for, which is why I've resorted to posting here. I usually try to figure this kind of stuff out myself. Thanks for your help in advance.

beautifulroundribbonthingsignaturesmall_

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

why don't you do a roll back to before all the problems began?

Lemurian

Lemurian

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

first, check in Advanced system settings > Startup and recovery Settings > near system failure "Automatically restart"   - it should be unchecked. It might stop continuous rebooting,

Looks like you have a pretty freaky Windows. How about changing it, or trying to remove all the suspicious and "security" software and newly installled drivers to see if the system itself can work stably without modifications