Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frozen Mouse that isn't frozen

• Please log in to reply

boblink

boblink

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi, I don't know if this a security issue (virus, malware,...) but let me POST it anyway and please advise me if it's not. Everything was fine with my W7 Desktop until out of nowhere, my cordless mouse stopped working so I replaced the batteries, which didn't do anything so I replaced the mouse and the mouse icon (arrow) still was frozen so I tried a wired mouse and the mouse still wouldn't move.
I then thought that I would try to start the system in Safe Mode and use repair but I was able to open Safe Mode using the keyboard but I could not select an option without the mouse so I restarted my computer again.
I had already used 3 mice but looked around and found a (very small) Laptop Mouse (with a very short cord) and this is where it get's really strange, the laptop mouse worked but since the cord was so short, it is almost impossible to use the system.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I did one more thing, which makes this saga more confusing, I took the 3 mice that didn't work on my Desktop to my Laptop to see if all the mice might be defected but they all worked on the Laptop.
So it doesn't appear to be a problem with the mouse since they all worked on the Laptop and it doesn't appear to be a problem with the driver since I found a mouse that works so I was wondering if my computer might be infected again (I had to do a clean install of W7 <2 weeks ago).
Any thoughts/suggestions for what appears to be my computer problem de jour would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks,
Bob

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Hello boblink

Have you tried a system restore point that is before the problem arose, see options here

Did you connect the mouse that works to a different USB port than the other 3 devices that will not work.

boblink1

boblink1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thank you for your help PhillPower, I tried system Restore but for some reason it would take, I was advised that no restore point exists although the 1st thing that I did after rinstalling Windows 2 weeks ago was to create a "Base-Restore Point". I could have done somthing wrong but I don't think so and it doesn't really mean anything since I don't have a valid restore point.

And yes, I tried the 3 (larger) Desktop mice to didderent USB ports and the "mini-mouse that does work is connected to one of the ports that I plugged in the "larger" mice.

One other thing I should have mentioned, before the (larger) mouse stopped working, my solar powered wireless KB stopped work and I replaced it with a wired KB which works so I really had 2 failures, a wirless KB as well as both wiresless and wired mice.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice/... would be appreciated.

Thans Phill'Bob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Does your computer have PS/2 ports that wired keyboard and mice connect to (one light green and one purple in colour).

If yes do you have or can you borrow a PS/2 type keyboard and mouse for testing purposes.

Another valuable thing to have if your computer does have the PS/2 ports is a USB to PS/2 adapter for the keyboard/mouse, see example here this would allow you to test the 3 presently non working mice in the PS/2 port.

Do any of the mice rely on a wireless receiver that plugs into a USB port which then needs pairing with the mouse by pressing a button on the receiver itself and one on the base of the mouse.

Do any of of the mice have an on/off switch.

Do you have any other wireless devices close by the computer such as a cordless telephone, wireless router or remote control ceiling fan (it is not unknown for microwave ovens to interfere with wireless devices btw).

You are welcome btw  :)  

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hello PhillPower and thank you again for your help,  when I was grasping for straws, I found an (old) PS/2 mouse but when I looked on the back of my computer, it did not have a PS/2 connection which was not a surprise being that the HP system is about 2 years old (HP  HPE PC Model H8-1110).  Two of the 3 (larger) Desktop mice are wireless, 1 uses a USB connection  and I didn't have a problem with the mouses (mice) for 2 years until just a few weeks ago and the only other electronics within 15 feet of the Desktop are an APC  BackUp PS and Brother Printer and the (tiny) mini-mouse IS operation, the (larger) Desktop mice don't work. FYI, one of my computer suave friends suggested that the Power Supply may be the culprit so I ordered a 600w (to replace the original equipment 250W) PS but it's only his guess and another friend suggested that I replace W7 with (a much more stable) Ubuntu Linux OP but these are just people that know a little more than I do (which is not a hard to do) and would appreciate a professionals help, like you Phill before I start doing all sorts of things with my Desktop.

Thanks

Bob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Thanks for the update Bob  :thumbsup:

I think that it is safe to say that as you presently have a mouse working (albeit with a short cord)  that the OS and the PSU are fine.

Can you recall if the none working mice were bundled with a driver disk.

Please use the working mouse to access the Device Manager to check for any yellow ! or red X marks against the Human input Devices, Mice and other pointing devices or USB ports.

Please do not order a new PSU purely in order to resolve this unless you have significantly upgraded the computer since you purchased it, this because HP would not put their name to a computer that was being sold with an underpowered PSU.

To test the mice within another OS you could download Puppy Linux to a USB thumb drive, see here

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hello again Phil and thank you again for your help.

I already ordered the replacement PS, it was $24 after rebate so if nothing else I will have a more powerful PS than what originally came with the system but my main concern is fixing the &^%$ problem with the mouse since the cord is only 24" and very awkward to use the way that I have my system setup so if nothing works, I believe that my options will be to reinstall W7 (I created a Restore point when I reinstalled Windows a few weeks ago but when I clicked on system restore, I was advised that no restore point exists) and the other option, is to buy a new computer.

As for Device Manager, I checked the mouse drive and it was installed properly, I tried to update the driver and was advised that I have the latest driver and even went so far as to uninstall the mouse drive, reboot the system and let Windows install the driver again.

I would have been will to bet (a small bet) that the PS was the culprit since 3 large mice (that I assume use more power) didn't work but one mini-mouse (that uses less power) works.

The PS is scheduled to be delivered (Newegg) on Saturday but from what you're telling me, it's back to the drawing board so  if you have any suggestions, I'm willing to try.

Thanks Phil

Bob

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I forget to mention that Device Manager has HID-Compliant Mouse listed TWICE (2 separate entries) for Mice and other point devices and none of the mice came with a drive (MS generic drives are being used)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

The amount of power that a mouse uses is minimal and if there is not enough voltage going to the USB ports no device will work, if you have a USB thumb drive try it in each USB port and see if it is detected and can be accessed, also keep in mind that most mice require batteries and are not powered by the PSU.

As an asides you will not get a good quality brand 600W PSU for $24  :no:

I forget to mention that Device Manager has HID-Compliant Mouse listed TWICE (2 separate entries) for Mice and other point devices

As does mine so no worries.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  thank you for understanding.

boblink1

boblink1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

This is the PS I purchased Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI, Phil

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Not bad for the price but it is not 80% efficiency rated and that is reflected in the cost.

It is getting late here in the UK so I am going offline now but will check back in the morning, consider trying the mice in Puppy Linux as Puppy in itself is a good tool to have as a back up OS and for using to recover data off HDDs, flash drives and Sd cards etc.

boblink1

boblink1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

I'll keep repeating this if you like it or not, THANK YOU for your help Phil.

I'm on the east caost of thge US (Atlat, Georgia) which I think is 6 hours behind you time wise (or it may be 7 hours with day light savingstime).

I will install Puppy Linux tomorrow and try the (larger) mouse and let you know.

BTW, does Puppy Linux install (generic) drivers i.e. isplay, KB, mouse,,,,,,,,>
Thanks Phil,

Bob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Yes Puppy has generic drivers for such things as mice and video etc.

You are most welcome btw  :)

Please note that I cannot be around much today due to other commitments, apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

YOU are helping me Phil and I am not only appreciative of your support but understand that you may have commitments, other things to do,..... and most importantly, I am a total stranger and you are doing this for free so you can get back to me whenver you want (are able to), I am just glad that you are trying to help me.

The link that you sent me (see below) doesn't work, can you please send me the hpps Web address?

Thanks Phil,

Bob

To test the mice within another OS you could download Puppy Linux to a USB thumb drive, see here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Thank you for understanding Bob  :thumbsup:

The Puppy link is working fine this end however as requested the link is post again here