Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frozen Mouse that isn't frozen

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I previously tried PF2, DEL and ESC and ESC brought me to a StartUp Menu where FILE had a option Apply Defaults and Exit, which I did.

The Apply Defaults is the settings that we want but were the settings saved before exiting the BIOS, this is often done by pressing F10 and then Y to accept the changes.

the reboots using PF1, PF0 and PF12 all resulted in a frozen mini-mouse

If you are booting into safe Mode and the mouse is not working it suggests that there are no Windows drivers available for the device.

If you are ok with working inside the computer and you have the time you could remove the MBs CMOS battery to restore the factory default settings, I will provide further information on this if required.

Off to do some painting for an hour or so but will check back when I am done.

Advertisements

boblink1

boblink1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

The Apply Defaults is the settings that we want but were the settings saved before exiting the BIOS

ESC brought me to HP Setup Utility where the options across the Top are File,  System Information, About, Set Time and Date, Apply Defaults and Exit, Ignore Changes and Exit and Save Changes and Exit. 

I selected Apply Defaults and Exit and a BLUE Box appeared that read Are you Sure you want to set Defaults and Exit?

Yes was Hi-Lited and I clicked Enter and the system rebooted and the mini-mouse was still frozen (as it has been most of the day).

I assume that I don't need to physically open the system and remove the battery since I believe I have already reset the BIOS (as described above)

I also did a search on the HP Website and found the following instructions for (I believe) re-setting the BIOS on the HP  H8-1110 but again, I am not sure if I need to open the system and if I do, I might as well do it the same time that I replace the PS.

I think that I mentioned that I probably will not be able to work on this for the next few days and hope to be able to check messages and write a brief reply when I can.

Thank yu again for your help Phil.

This motherboard has a jumper to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS.
c02990071.jpg
  1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to the Clear CMOS settings for 5 to 10 seconds, then move the jumper back to default.
  3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
  4. On the next startup, enter BIOS setup to re-enter user settings.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

It would appear that the defaults have been reset in the BIOS but with no success.

Moving the jumper cap across to reset the RTC can be a fiddly job when working inside the case so pulling the CMOS battery to do a hard reset is often easier, I would leave doing this until you swap out the PSU which if I recall correctly is something that you suggested earlier, please see attachment.

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Thank you for all your help Phil, I truly appreciate everything that you have done and for a change, I believe that I have some good news to report.

After I reset (Apply Defaults and Exit) last night, I booted into Safe Mode and navigated to Device Manager and uninstalled the (2) mouse drivers that were listed. I then restarted the system and instead of plugging the mini-mouse into the USB slot, I plugged in the wired Desktop mouse and almost fell out of my chair when the mouse started moving. 

And was even more surprised when I came back to the computer a few minutes ago and the mouse was still operating so maybe the reset actually worked.

The question that I have is I assume that I reset the BIOS because something in the BIOS must have changed (creating the "mouse problems") and if this is true, how/what can I do, to avoid the same thing / the same change, from occurring in the BIOS again?

And I also have good news on another issue.  I was able to create a restore point of the "C" Drive (that contains W7) and would have also liked to include my Data Files Drive in the Restore Point but I need to clean up the Data Drive because it is too large (and is probably full of junk files that I don't need) but their is too much going on now for me to do that now and I have an External 1T HDD that I use for BU of my data files and photos. So in the worse case, I many not have the most current Data and Photos on the external HDD), in case the computer crashes, as it did a few weeks ago and I had to use the HP Recovery Partition to reinstall Windows. And since I did not have a valid Restore Point, it meant that I had to reformat not only the the "C" Drive but reformat all the partitions that I created (wiping out my data and Photos Partitions).

And I also discovered something interesting when I was creating the Restore Point, one of the Drives that was listed was "the lost" C (OS) Missing) Drive.  I used Print Screen to make an image, pasted the image to Paint, then saved the image and attached to this note for you to look at.

I also will replace the PS or have someone help me replace the PS but right now that doesn't appear to be a priority since the system (mouse) has been operating 'normally" for almost 24 hours.

And I believe that the last thing that you were helping me with, which also is not a priority, was the shadows on my display where I was unable to implement the instructions that you provided (see POSTs # 23, #25 and #27 for details).

All in all, you can't imagine how glad I am to have my computer back and the person to thank for this, is YOU Phil.  THANK YOU, I appreciate all the time and patience that you have spent - provided to me, to get where I am.

If you are able to help me with the minor problems that I addressed, that would be great, if not I would like to thank you for your Herculean efforts (fyi, I will probably won't be accessing my computer for the next few days).

Attached Thumbnails

• C  OS missing.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Great news and a job well done on your behalf Bob  :thumbsup:

This has been a team effort and I would like to thank you for seeing it through at what must be a difficult time for you.

I will be more than happy to help you with addressing the other issues as and when you are able to do so, please reply back here only when you are ready and I will not be too far away.

Final suggestion from me for now, when you have the chance make a back up image of your OS using Macrium Reflect (free) details here

Good luck with things Bob, we can catch up again soon.

Phill

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

This has been a team effort

It might be a team effort Phill but we would not have a team if it weren't for our leader, YOU  are the one that was able to resolved the issues, I was just along for the ride so THANK YOU again for ALL your help Phill

I will be more than happy to help you with addressing the other issues

It's hard to believe this but I think that most of the issues that I was having have been resolved.

I had help switching out the Power Supply and don't know if it did any good but if nothing else, I now have a newer and more powerful PS (in my 2 – 2 ½ year old Desktop)

The wireless Desktop mouse miraculously is operational and the wireless KB is also back and I have a copy of the Reflect Imagine of the "C" (OS) on my external HDD in case of a catastrophic failure so whatever problem(s) / issues remain, I believe are minor glitches.

The first one is that I only have 1 KB, the wireless KB and 1 mouse, a wireless mouse but when I open Device Manager, and look at KBs, there are 2 KBs listed and when I llok at Mouse and other Pointing Devices, there are 2 mousses listed. FYI, I opened Device Manager and Uninstalled both KBs, rebooted the system and opened Device Manager only to find that 2 KBs were still listed.

The mouse was little more difficult being that a mouse was required to navigate Device Manager so if I uninstalled the mouse driver that I was active, I would not be able to maneuver the mouse to uninstall the2nd mouse listing in Device Manager,  so I uninstalled one of the mousses and the mouse that I was using froze (apparently I uninstalled the driver for that mouse).  So I rebooted the system, opened Device manager again and uninstalled the "other" mouse listed in Device Manager.  I deleted both the 2nd mouse driver that was listed and rebooted.

There were still 2 mousses listed in Device Manager so I uninstalled one of the mouse drivers, rebooted and did this a 1/2 dozen times but when the system rebooted, there were still 2 mousses listed.

I thought that this may be a problem since Device Manager should have lists only KB and 1 mouse although I am only using 1 KB and 1 mouse.  I made a ScrShot of Device Manager showing the 2 KB and mouse listing and attached it to this note and would appreciate if you can please advise me if this is a problem?

The other issue(s) that I have is a very minor one involving the text size of Webpage when I open a browser (I use Mozilla, IE and Chrome).  I will figure out what's going on sooner or later but would appreciate your help with a question.  In earlier versions of Windows, Windows allowed you (the user) to change the text fonts and/or the text size (and I think the icons) for the various environments that you navigate to. This does not appear to be the case for W7 Pro so my question is, did MS remove this function from Windows?

In any event, I believe that I have my system running the way that it should and would like to thank you again for helping me get where I am Phill.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• Device Manager.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Bob

Glad to hear that things have improved with the computer and a job well done with swapping out the PSU  :thumbsup:

The two keyboards and mice being shown in the Device Manager is not an issue if you are not having problems with them, I have included a screenshot of the Device Manager of the notebook that I am using and you will note that it shows a PS/2 keyboard when I am not using one + it shows 2 mice when I am only using the one, it causes no problems so I leave well alone.

Regarding the browser settings, this is something that I am not overly familiar with and I can only point you towards the settings that I am used to and that is in chrome, please see second screenshot, hope this goes some way towards helping.

Let me know if I have overlooked anything please (the decorating is getting to me   :blink:  )

You are most welcome btw and thank you for the kind words  :)

Regards

Phill

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I'm sorry that I don't have any issues/problems for you to help me with to divert you from the paint,decorating,.... but with my track record, it probably won't be too long before the computer disaster hits the fan

Thank you again for all your help Phill, I enjoyed working with you and learned a few things along the way.

Regards,

Bob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are most welcome Bob and likewise it has been a pleasure working with you  :yes:

Hopefully you will have no further problems but you know where we are if you need us  :thumbsup:

boblink1

boblink1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hello again Phill, it appears that it didn't take me long to get myself in trouble again, apparently I am connected to the Internet but I cannot  connect (I am blocked) from connecting to any Website (please see attachment). The only thing I did was go to my browsers (Mozilla, IE and Chrome) to try and increase the size of the fonts (larger text) and don't believe I clicked on anything to do with Internet Connections but apparently I am being blocked and would appreciate your help one more time to help get me out of this mess

Thanks Phill,

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• internet Connections.jpg

Advertisements

boblink1

boblink1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Never mind Phill, I used the Laptop to research the problem and it appears that the LAN connection changed (it must have been by me) so I reset it and I'm back up and running.

I apologize for the false alarm.
Thanks
Bob

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No worries Bob - glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting the solution  :thumbsup:

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi Phill, since I almost had a computer catastrophe yesterday I am sure that I'll get myself in trouble again so I have made another BackUp of Reflect and wanted to check if this makes sense.

I Imaged the "C" Drive (really a "C: Partition that I created) and saved it on my External Drive in the event that HDD installed on the Desktop is accidentally Wiped-OUT (either by me or a virus) which would enable me to resurrect W7 and I would have my Data Files and Photos intact (on the other Partitions that I created on the factory issued 1T HDD and I would also have (maybe not the most current but probably not more than a week old) Data files on the External Drive that I can use. 

And I also have a System Restore Point that I created as a backup to the backup, does this sound like a reasonable BU Plan Phill or do you have another suggestion?

I also have a couple of questions about the backup programs first, in the event of a computer catastrophe, how do I access (how do I run) the Reflect Image that is on the HDD?

Do I just click on Reflect icon (1st listing) as shown in the attached SrnSht?

And, I created a System Restore point and when I looked at System Restore a few minutes ago, I noticed that 105GB out of 146GB have been used, meaning that at this rate, I am going to run out of space very soon and the reason for this is (Windows) System Restore keeps creating Restore Points after every Windows Update and/or a software program is installed).

That would be nice if the Restore Points didn't take up as much space as they do so I would rather create the Restore Points that Windows, is this something that I can do, stop Windows from creating restore Points (several times a day) and delete some of the Restore Points that I do not believe are needed?

Thank you again for everything Phill and I have an administrative question for you, being that the original subject of the thread (Frozen Mouse) has been resolved, would it best that I start a  NEW thread if I have an unrelated problem that I need help with or continue this POSTing on tread?

Thank you again for bailing me out Phill,

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• reflect.jpg
  • System Restore.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Bob

You seem to have all angles covered regarding back ups.

For a better explanation than I can provide that also has pictures to help you, see here

I would keep two known good restore points (ones created since the mouse issues etc have been resolved) only then can you safely delete the rest.

If you are unfortunate enough to have any further computer issues that are not relevant to the present topic then please start a new topic on the appropriate forum, this helps with keeping threads easy to follow for people who may read it when looking for help with their own computer issues + Google will often list GTG topic titles for people who are searching for online fixes.

You are most welcome btw  :)

boblink

boblink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Thank you again Phill, for all practical purposes this thread is now officially CLOSED.

Bob