Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

**ERROR WHEN INSTALLING SP2 IN WINDOWS UPDATE***

• Please log in to reply

TheMoneyMan1

TheMoneyMan1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

When I go to windows update and try to download SP2 it tells me my Widows XP Professional Product Key is invalid and doesn't continue.

Is there anyway to go around this with out buying a new copy of Windows XP Pro and reinstalling? I did purchase my laptop used, please e-mail me with your suggestions @ TheMoney_Man007@yahoo.com

Thank you.

Advertisements

Jacamus

Jacamus

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Contact the mfg of the notebook. They usually have a solution which is cheaper than buying xp at a retail store. They may have recovery disks for the unit. or even possiblt a new HDD which in some cases is cheaper than xp. The version of xp on your notebook is possibly not legal and ms is preventing it from being updated.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Jacamus probably hit the nail on the head.. You bought a system with a pirated version of XP on it - very illegal..

Suggest you conatct whomever you purchased the system from and request a legal version or you will report them to the proper authorities for software piracy..

Otherwise, your only real option is to purchase your own license from Microsoft..

You don't need a new cd, just the license!!

Murray