Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Foreign characters

windows keyboard typing foreign characters

• Please log in to reply

G-Nava

G-Nava

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello, just a quick question. I recently got a new computer and I installed Windows 8 on it. I have a US keyboard. Before, on Windows 7, when I typed apostrophe followed by a vocal I would get something like á, é, í, ó, ú. Now that doesn't happen. Similar issue with the letter ñ. Before I could just type Ctrl+Alt+N and I would get it. Is this a feature Windows 8 lacks? or is this something I have to turn on? Thanks in advance.

Edited by G-Nava, 27 March 2014 - 09:16 PM.

Advertisements

humble2k14

humble2k14

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

G-Nava,

You can use the Character Map tool or you can visit this link: Typing Special Characters.

• Character Map enables you to view the characters that are available in a selected font. Using Character Map, you can copy individual characters or a group of characters to the Clipboard and paste them into any program that can display them.
  • You can open Character Map by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Character Map, and then, in the list of results, click Character Map.

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance!

Edited by humble2k14, 29 March 2014 - 02:59 AM.

G-Nava

G-Nava

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

G-Nava,

You can use the Character Map tool or you can visit this link: Typing Special Characters.

• Character Map enables you to view the characters that are available in a selected font. Using Character Map, you can copy individual characters or a group of characters to the Clipboard and paste them into any program that can display them.
  • You can open Character Map by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818. In the search box, type Character Map, and then, in the list of results, click Character Map.

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance!

humble2k14

Thank you very much, but I already found a solution. What I wanted to know is how to enable using Ctrl+Alt+n to insert the ñ and how to make the apostrophe also work as the Spanish accent without changing the keyboard layout.

What I had to do was change the input method to United States-International.

humble2k14

humble2k14

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Alright good to hear! :thumbsup: