Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Pro Won't Shut Down

• Please log in to reply

spirittoo

spirittoo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

:wave: I just did a fresh install of Win XP Pro SP3 ... I have this mobo http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3967#ov  that seems to carry this problem.

I was installing programs after the fresh install, the last was webshots and microsoft word, before it started rebooting instead of shutting down.  I uninstalled those programs, but no change.  I had this problem with this mobo before and I never address the issue ... I simply pulled the plug before it restarted.  This was a totally different HHD the OS is on ... I have not installed the raid stuff for the mobo because I see no way to install it in the software I have.

There is no flash of blue screen or anything when it does this.  It shuts down for a faction of a second ... then start to boot up again.  I do have Comodo installed.

Now before I add any more programs I want to find out what is causing this.  I'm sure the mobo has something to do with it, because I have the same programs on three other computers with different mobo and never had this problem.  Can anyone help me with this.
:upset:

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Have you tried resetting the CMOS/BIOS Setup to factory defaults?

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

:wave: I didn't see a way to do that while I was in the bios something about optimizing and failsafe but that's is. :headscratch: :headhurt:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

While in Windows, what happens if you click Start > Run, type in:

shutdown -s -t 0 -f

(that "0" is a zero, not an oh)

and press [Enter]?

Does it stay shutdown?

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

:wave: No it does not.  :no:  It shutdown for a faction of a second then boots back up. :killcomp: 

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Something somewhere is set to restart on shutdown.

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I have been unable to located it so far ... :no: :upset:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Stuck On/Off switch?

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Nope :headhurt:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Hmmm... Hopefully someone else with some other ideas will be along soon.

Advertisements

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

:wave:

I

I got a link to a driver with this infor ...

Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 and x64 Editions.
Released: 9/1/2007

and this

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

This driver is for Windows XP only.
Released: 7/31/2008

I tried both but neither worked.  Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

I don't know if this will be of any help, but when the computer sits idle and the screen saver comes on then the screen will go to sleep ... both xp and win 7 with the amd processor would shut down on it's own.

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

You know what ... I tried updating the bios with the software provided at the mobo site,but it won't work.  According to Belarc my bios is FB 08/26/2011 and the lastest at the site as you can see is FC2012/06/05.  There are only 3 files when I unzip it and one is a flash application ... I click on it ... and briefly see a black box ... then nothing.  Maybe this upgrade will help, but how do I get it to work? :upset:

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Instructions

Edited by SpywareDr, 29 March 2014 - 04:46 PM.

spirittoo

spirittoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Well sir .... I put in a ticket with Gigabyte and I got this message ...

Dear customer,

Please try the following:

1) Go to Bios, press "Delete" during Bios start up screen

2) Go to"Power management"

3) Disable "PME Event wake up"

4) Press "F10" to save and exit.

Thank you.

Computer will now shut down ... so I will mark this one as PROBLEM SOLVED.