Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major CPU Problems

• Please log in to reply

Celery4183

Celery4183

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello All! This is my first post on this forum. I'm having some major CPU problems. The other day I sat down to check my email and my CPU just turned off. I tried to turn it back on but it wouldn't start at all. I could smell something brunt so I figured I blow something. I got a spare Power Supply from a friend and installed it last night. The computer finally turned on, all the LED fans, LED lights on my case etc. It started to make its normal routine with the beep and loaded windows fine. All my start up programs started to run and then when I clicked the Start menu it turned off like before. Now I can start the computer like normal, fans/LED come on but when it gets to the point to make the beep and load windows, it just dies down.. gets real quite and doesnt do anything. My monitor displays nothing at all. Sometimes the CD drive acts like it wants to load something but then stops.

Last night when i replaced my Power Supply, I went ahead and pulled out the Heatseek on the processor and found it caked in dust. Its like the Dust melted and reharded into some substance all on the bottom of the heatseek and on the top of the processor chip. I cleaned everything really good and I'm assuming this was the main problem for the overheating. Does anyone think this fired my chip and thats the reason the computer wont boot up anymore??

I know 100% that the old power supply is fired bc just tried plugging it back up and the fans/led will not tune on. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any feedback to solving my problem! :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Last night when i replaced my Power Supply, I went ahead and pulled out the Heatseek on the processor and found it caked in dust.  Its like the Dust melted and reharded into some substance all on the bottom of the heatseek and on the top of the processor chip.  I cleaned everything really good and I'm assuming this was the main problem for the overheating.  Does anyone think this fired my chip and thats the reason the computer wont boot up anymore??

I

View Post

OUCH !!!

Howdy and welcome to G2G:

That "melted stuff is known as thermal heat paste and is used to help the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink..

Good chance you fried your processor now..

Get to your local computer store and get some Artic Silver paste .. apply it VERY sparingly to the bottom of the heat sink (follow the instructions on the container"..

With luck, it may fire up again!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 09 June 2005 - 11:47 AM.

Celery4183

Celery4183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay here is a quick update. I have found out that it is not the processor. I got a old perfect working processor from my friend a 2.8g P4 and put it in my system and I completely reinstalled everything. It booted up fine and got all the way to the Windows XP loading screen and then shut off. The last 2 things I havent checked is the MB and HD. I did buy some Artic Silver paste and put it on my processor for future protection! :tazz: I am buying a new Power Supply, one I got right now is from the same friend that loaned the processor. Any suggestions on a good PSU?

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Could be one of several things causing the shutdown : overheating, bad memory, faulty video card. I doubt that it's the motherboard as I don't think it would even attempt to boot up but a PSU blowing out could have caused some damage I suppose. (sorry for the contradiction there).
Go through each possible cause in order : check all fans run and vents are clear, if possible borrow some memory and replace yours, same for the video card.
Once those causes are eliminated, then look to the hard drive / Windows installation being the problem.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do you have your processor installed now or are you still using the one from your friend??

Murray

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Either way, with no thermal paste on your processor, you're bound to see more problems. Make sure to get that Arctic Silver on your process/heatsink ASAP!!

-SkyHi

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Let me know what kind of hardware is attached to your system. I will look for a new PSU for you.

-E

Celery4183

Celery4183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
*overheating, bad memory, faulty video card.
My friend said it might be some overheating problems, but I've completely cleaned out the entire system looks brand new. I'm running 2 512MB PC3200 Ram sticks. I've tried booting with just one or the other and still no success. My video card is working fine, tested in another computer and also tried one of my faulty but still working cards in the current PC.

*Do you have your processor installed now or are you still using the one from your friend??*

ATM I have my current 3.0 P4 processor installed, I tried my friends processor and still no success.

My specs:

Im running a 865PE Neo2-P Motherboard by MSI
Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor
1 gig of Kingston PC3200 Ram
Vid Card = CHAINTECH SA5500T2 Geforce FX5500 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X
HD: Western Digital 80G standard HD

Celery4183

Celery4183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
One thing I've noticed is everytime i reset the bios on the MB, it will start to boot up correctly but it will never make it past the loading XP display before shutting down.

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Before you go any further, get that thermal paste, because your processor will be completely fried soon.

-SkyHi

Advertisements

Celery4183

Celery4183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I already applied Arctic Silver 5 to my processor.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try booting with your XP cd in the cd drive..

When given the option, go to the Recovery Console and run the repair option..

You will have to re-install all critical updates and security patches but that is a small price to pay!!

Murray

Celery4183

Celery4183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
* Try booting with your XP cd in the cd drive..

I can't get the system to boot up with XP disk. I sounds like my cd drive loads the cd but nothing is going on the monitor. I used my roomates monitor and still getting the same thing. Tomorrow afternoon ill be getting a spare HD to test out the HD. Hopefully that will be the case. Seems like nothing loading at all points to it. im not a great computer wiz =)

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Let us know how it goes!!

Murray

Celery4183

Celery4183

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well the system is finally fixed! The problem... PSU. :tazz: the psu that my friend let me borrow to test didn't work that well. We tried every part in his computer yesterday and they all worked. So we hooked my system back up and used his PSU from his and it worked!! My new PSU i ordered comes in today so all is well again! Thanks for all the suggestions you guys had!