Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dreese.exe, Dopper.Win32? Cannot install Antivirus

• Please log in to reply

Anubix

Anubix

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

We recently bought the Microsoft Action Pack. I instaleld Win XP SP1 on the first PC. I then installed Office XP. It all worked fine, so I Activated all products. Then, I went to Microsoft to run all updates. After it downloaded all updates available, it started isntalling them. On number 2 of 20, the computer stopped transmission from Microsoft, the progress bar stopped. I could open another window, but couldn't go to another website. However, the transmission indicator said there was traffic, lots of it.

The entire computer froze. I called teh Task Manager, it won't come up. It finally did after several minutes but hte PC won't respond to End Task requests. Frustrated, I did a cold shut down of the computer (pulled the plug).

When back in and connected to the internet, the browser jumped from Windows update site that I opened, to something called www.knu-konceptz.com/free.html and a webpage that read "Installing Windows Updates". For a second I fell for it. Then I figured out it may be malware so I closed the window. On the background, there was a window opened, it was Winrar trying to unrar and install several files, of which I only wrote down two: Dreese.exe and Babes.dat.

Everytime I open IE6 it tries to unrar the same files from this Knu-Konceptz website, and traffic stops, so I can't do an online scan!

I tried to install Norton Antivirus but the Setup.exe won't start. Ad Aware finds and cleans 7 objects from MediaTickets, but as soon as I go in IE6 it starts all over.

I will post more information if needed. Anyway of cleaning this up? I don't want to reformat and reinstall since I've already activate the product.

Thanks.

Advertisements