Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 cardbus driver disappeared

• Please log in to reply

krivsonn

krivsonn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this issue. I am working on rather old HP Compaq notebook which runs on XP pro. It has only one PCMCIA slot that I desperately need. This morning it just decided to die on me. Device manager shows it normally but there is no sign of driver that Windows can find. And it is an integrated peace of hardware!

I have spent all day searching the net for this driver and found quite few of them, installed one after another only to find out that none of them works and that web is covered with issues with the same thing. I even uninstalled the freakin' thing and after rebooting comp recognized it (only renamed it to genereric cardbus controller, and still nothing works. I spent 10 hours on the issue with no result.

I really need help from someone waaaay smarter than me...... Please help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

:welcome:   krivsonn

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration or booting into Safe Mode.

Can you tell us which particular model of Compaq notebook it is.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi,

yes I have tried both things. Safe mode is no help at all. At one point using last known good configuration controller got installed and it was actually working. However on the next reboot it was gone again. I tried to uninstall PCMCIA controller from device manager and reboot. I must have rebooted 15 times at least. The only difference is that controller has changed name from TI to Generic Cardbus Controller.

Device is Hp Compaq nx6310. The only hardware change from original configuration as far as I know is RAM extended to 1 Gb. Processor is Intel Celeron 430 at 1.73 GHz.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello Krivsonn

At one point using last known good configuration controller got installed and it was actually working. However on the next reboot it was gone again. 

Did you try last known good again and if so what happened.

If you didn`t try last known good again please do so, if the device works again, create a new system restore point and save the driver that installed for the device to the desktop or a thumb drive.

The latest drivers here and the previous drivers here save both to the desktop or a thumbdrive, if you have tried the latest drivers with no success make sure that you remove all traces of them with Driver Sweeper which is available from here, once done restart the notebook in Safe Mode and try the 2006 drivers and see how it goes.

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi Phil,

Yes, tried dozens of times, but no luck. There are no yellow or red warnings in Device Manager. I will try the Sweeper and let you know what happened.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Thanks for the update Krivsonn  :thumbsup:

It may actually have been a pure coincidence that the device worked after last known good the first time and the issue may be hardware related.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

well, at first I thought it was the card issue but it runs on another comp without problems. I have made a restore point, downloaded the sweeper and ran it in safe mode and all it did was to remove my video controller and now I do have yellow at device manager but for the video controller. Even after restoring to the previous point....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
well, at first I thought it was the card issue but it runs on another comp without problems.

Which leaves the card slot itself as a possible hardware failure, hopefully not though.

I have made a restore point, downloaded the sweeper and ran it in safe mode and all it did was to remove my video controller and now I do have yellow at device manager but for the video controller. Even after restoring to the previous point....

Not sure what has happened here as driver sweeper will/should only uninstall selected item/s.

Have you reinstalled the drivers yet and if so how did it go.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Well, I fixed that issue with VGA controller. However the link you gave me offered downloading only video controller removal. The page says that sweeper has been replaced with video sweeper. Maybe you can find me a direct download link to the app that will offer me to sweep exactly what I choose? I don't believe it's the slot as device manager is reporting device to be working properly. I am almost positive I have a wrong driver and can't find the right one...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Sorry about that and thanks for letting me know that the download had been changed, it will hopefully save me getting egg on my face again  :whistling:

Try Revo Uninstaller free trial from here

The trouble (and annoyance) with software and some hardware issues is that their properties report that they are working correctly, and yes this is common with bad drivers.

The drivers that I linked to are the correct ones btw.

Advertisements

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Ran Revo, tried both drivers, several times, effect was like blowing in the wind,,,, If I took a cloth and cleaned my screen, it would take much less time and accomplish greater effect...   :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Run DriverMax to see if there are any drivers listed that you have not tried.

Please note that you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free and uncheck the “install AVG toolbar” option box.

Remember to always create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

NB: Be sure to clean your screen first in case you install the wrong driver by mistake  ;)

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Please clarify screen cleaning.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Ha, you were joking, it took me a while, obviously too tired... I will give it a shot tomorrow. Btw, the link you posted is not working, I found another one.

Edited by krivsonn, 06 April 2014 - 04:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Glad you took the pun in the way it was intended krivsonn  :)

Original DriverMax link repaired btw and thanks for the heads up   :thumbsup:

The results I got are here, hope that one of them resolves the issue for you.