Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Texas Instruments PCIxx12 cardbus driver disappeared

• Please log in to reply

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi Phil,

I have tried two drivers, no luck. However, you may find this interesting. I tried to reboot with cell phone connected via usb to the PCMCIA card. When computer turns on, the phone screen lights up for a while. And that is it. It is not charging and connection is not of any use whatsoever. So, some sort of signal is coming through, meaning that hardware is doing something. I tried to uninstall and install usb bluetooth adapter via one of the USB slots. No device found. Then I put wireless adapter PCMCIA card (that works normally on another comp) into the slot. No reaction. I guess we are back at drivers. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Krivsonn

Driver details acknowledged.

The brief signs of life from the cell phone when it was connected could also mean that the power to the card slot is being lost, this could be explained by the slot being tested as part of the POST procedure.

It may be worth trying the same test with the cell phone connected but starting the notebook in Safe Mode to see if there is any change.

Is there a setting in the BIOS for the card slot such as enable - disable or any other option at all.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi Phil,

booting in safe mode results with identical reaction from the phone. I have updated two more drivers today (Compatible CardBus Controller and TI OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller). I don't know if it makes any difference, but Drivermax reports two identical drivers installed for Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset family (both not updated).

As for the BIOS, carsbus slot is enabled. The only two things disabled in device configuration are SwapFn/Ctrl Keys and SATA Native mode.and from built-in devices only LAN/WLAN switching is disabled.

This brings me to the good news. Ever since I got this notebook I was told that USB ports are not working (and a guy who gave to me is servicing computers and I took it for granted). Indeed, whenever I tried to plug something into built in USB ports the comp woul immediatelly shut down. That is one of the main reasons for using PCMCIA card (and a bluetooth adapter).

However, after your suggestion to dig through BIOS I have found out USB to be disabled!!!

So, I enabled it, and now my built-in USB ports are working perfectly! :)))))

Still no luck with PCMCIA though, only my screen is becoming incredibly cleaner and cleaner each day....

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Well... I was too enthusiastic about built-in usb ports when I saw one of them charging.. The other one doesn't work at all. This one charges the phone but provides no data transfer whatsoever. Plus, it is a loose port and when you move a cable just a bit, it killes the computer. Tried with different device, same thing. Obviously there was a good reason for disabling them.

Which bring me to the beginning, a desperate need for PCMCIA adapter that doesn't work. And a cloth of course....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Apologies for the delay, I have been looking for guidance from the HP homepage  :unsure:

Bad news about the USB ports but it does add to the possibility that the card slot is also hosed  :(

Was the chipset driver included in the suggested updates.

I am going through the troubleshooting steps here, have you also checked through them at all.

Got to go out for a few hours but will keep digging when I get back.

Good to see that you are not letting this get to you  :thumbsup:

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Well, I'd be lying if said its not getting me. Its all over me for a week now. After screen got too clean, I cleaned TV screen as well. Now I am thinking washing curtains which would be completely new experience to me. 

Interesting info in device manager-details-current power state is D0. According to Microsoft it indicates "Device is on and running. It is receiving full power from the system and is delivering full functionality to the user." 

Interesting but not helpful.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The one thing that often reports a device is working correctly when it clearly isn`t is the drivers, yet you are also having no luck with alternative drivers either.

Was the chipset driver included in the suggested updates.

I am going through the troubleshooting steps here, have you also checked through them at all.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Yes, I've been through forums and found nothing useful.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

What about the chipset driver, was it one of the suggested updates.

Long shot but what about trying the Vista drivers for the device.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

It is on a list. I am taking two a day, there is 14 left, chipset comes tomorrow.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You may have more success with the drivers that you have been trying once the chipset drivers are updated, fingers crossed for you.

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Thx, writing tomorrow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome  :thumbsup:

krivsonn

krivsonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi Phil,

before dealing with the chipset family I need an advice please.  Drivermax reports two identical drivers installed for Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset family, identical versions and installation date (both not updated). I really can't risk with this comp. I need to know should I remove one of them and how. Please be specific. Also, is it safe to uninstall the driver before updating, will computer still be operational? Thanks. I've got 10 other to update, I was thinking of PCI bridge for today.

Edited by krivsonn, 09 April 2014 - 12:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I should have suggested this earlier but did not do so thinking that installing a driver would not be so difficult, create a back up image as a precaution, details here

Is there one each for the two different speed of as in below;
Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset with 667-MHz front side bus  
Mobile Intel 940GML Express Chipset with 533-MHz front side bus

As always advised, download and save the correct driver to the desktop, create a new system restore point, uninstall the relevant driver and either use the scan for hardware changes option or restart the computer and then install the driver manually.

PCI bridge driver  :thumbsup: