Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer responding slow when on the Internet online.. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
I thought you are facing issue in Internet Explorer only. Go to the previous link I posted and refer to the screenshot below to download flash player for IE.
Capture.PNG
Defrag your C drive by perusing this. Do only Method 1.

Edited by Valinorum, 08 April 2014 - 09:30 PM.

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Ok,

So do I not have to delete the other previous version before I download the new version  that you have referred me to.

or is this a seperate download, so that I will have two versions on my computer..one for Google Chrome and one for IE...

I am not sure if presently that Adobe flash from google chrome may be conflicting with IE...although I sometimes also do have issues with google chrome as well when webpages struggle to respond & open or its difficult to scroll.

If its OK I will miss the mcafee download....I deleted that recently as It did not seem like a valid AV to me...

I thought that it may run and detect but not remove unless you paid for the removal version.

IF I was using any other AV program....that I thought maybe better...I thought having Mcafee on my system could 

cause problems.

I lost faith in Mcafee when I saw a video of the creator admitting that he has used the software to monitor some peoples computers for the security services..he says he can more or less click a switch to do so...and has done so in the past on previous occasions...

Edited by dowsp, 09 April 2014 - 12:25 AM.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

This is something that someone informed me about that he suggests caused computer problems in the past and may still do so today if I understand what hes suggesting is correct...that may or may not be a conspiracy...With what Edward Snowdon has recently been saying about the security services monitoring us...it may be correct in what he suggests...if you have not seen it before.

Every program installed opens your computer to someone. Microsoft just deleted tor in computers that had been hacked and a virus of sorts installed tor secretly to zombie the pc and do some work for the hackers.

The fbi set up a global network of DNS servers 2011 to monitor internet traffic for a DNS virus sent round the planet. I noticed it was then that my internet slowed to a crawl and since, every one has been slowed down. My findings for this is the NSA and FBI are looking at everything. The FBI did come clean on that DNS server switcheroo and said they are going to turn off anyones computer from getting on the net if they failed to clean the virus off their machine(s) by July 2013.

YOU MIGHT WANNA READ THIS.

https://forms.fbi.go...using-rogue-DNS

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts

So do I not have to delete the other previous version before I download the new version that you have referred me to.

No need. It will overwrite the previous version.

If its OK I will miss the mcafee download.

That was my original intention. I want you to un-check the box beside McAfee.

---
The link you showed is a DNSChanger infection that is seen quite often.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

I am a bit unsure about the situation with Adobe....

with me having two different browsers....I thought on version 12 that the plug in was an addition for use on IE and that the main adobe Flash Player (AFP ) 12 would be  OK to use with Google Chrome or other browsers like Firefox maybe.

IF I now download Adobe  (AFP) version 13....I can see I can select a version for Internet Explorer....BUT I am now not sure what may happen when using Google Chrome !...

Do I need to also download the standard version for Google Chrome ? or should the IE version also work on both..?

I still have the AFP Version 12 PLUG IN on my Computer...when I look in add and remove programs in Control Panel.

I downloaded adobe Flash player 13 for IE....

I am now doing the disc defrag...

.I am not sure on method 1....Number 2 where it refers to Local disk volume exactly what that means....as  my main disc is "C Drive" as far as I know...unless it is if the disc is partitioned...and I wanted to just defrag certain partition sizes of the main disc...

I think I will be Ok to defrag the whole "C Drive" only ...

You can also get to defrag by going to Satrt, Programs , assessories, system tools , defrag with a disc defragmenter program..

that alows one to do an analyse disc and shows the fragmented, contigious and unmoveable files and free space.

I think I will be Ok using either way..

------------------------------------------

Disk Defragmenter MMC is based on the full retail version of Executive Software Diskeeper. The version that is included with Windows XP and later provides limited functionality in maintaining disk performance by defragmenting volumes that use the FAT, FAT32, or NTFS file system.

Method 1: Use the Properties of Your Local Disk
  1. Open My Computer.
  2. Right-click the local disk volume that you want to defragment, and then click Properties.
  3. On the Tools tab, click Defragment Now.
  4. Click Defragment.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

I completed the Adobe Flash Player version 13  (Windows XP IE version) download...and the defrag...

I decided to remove the Previous AFP ....Version 12 Plug in if the new AFP version 13 is for IE...

I restarted my computer after all of this.... and I have tried playing youtube videos on both Google Chrome and IE..

The Computer still INITIALLY seems to be loading very slow to what it should...

Although I KNOW that it is an Old computer and realize as its aged it will slow down...

But it took over 30 seconds to open yahoo...on IE  and also Google Chrome would not open either in this time.

Once it has opened and settled a bit, its not too bad..its taking about 6 to 8 secs to open a new blank page and about 8 to 10 secs to open a new webpage on chrome..

On IE it takes about 8 secs to open a blank page and when I click on a saved favourite page....that takes about 10 to 15 secs..

although I suspect websites vary...

When I just tried opening and playing a youtube video.....It works OK on Chrome as before.

But it still does not work on IE..

I get this message when I open a youtube video on IE..

The Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback.
Get the latest Flash Player
Learn more about upgrading to an HTML5 browser

I cannot recall if this was the very same message that I got before...but I think when I had this or similar...

It probably told me to click on something to download the version 12 plugin...

But as I have said... when I had uploaded it ....It still would not  operate youtube videos....and appeared as if Adobe Flash Player would not work on IE....

As I also said....I would get a message telling me to click and install what I think or thought was either adobe FP or its plugin..

but when I clicked, all it did was take me to the adobe page again to start downloading AFP....It seemed as it was in a loop.

Maybe I had downloaded it, but not installed it...or not done so correctly....BUT when I tried to install it..by clicking on the message to install it... It would just take me back to the adobe webpage again for a download..

I am not sure with youtube when using IE is you have to accept cookies for it to work or not...

This is another message I get when on youtube in IE.. I dont recall this with chrome....but generally I do not like accepting cookies..

"Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies"

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

IF I do click on that youtube link...

it takes me to the adobe website again for the latest version 13....where I can select windows XP and the IE version.

But instead of trying to ask me to accept mcafee download.... it says the following...

which dont make sense to me if I have selected the IE version...It is still more google orientated..

so It is still a mystery as to why after downloading and installing the latest AFP version 13 for IE... that it still won't play youtube videos on IE .........'and it still asks me to download AFP yet again for the latest version that I already have....unless there is a mistake on adobes download pages and somehow when I downloaded it gave me the wrong version....If it is only recently come out, it could be a mistake a suppose..eg they may have got the two versions the wrong way around ..

Yes, install Google Chrome as my default browser and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer.

The Adobe Flash Player or an HTML5 supported browser is required for video playback.
Get the latest Flash Player
Learn more about upgrading to an HTML5 browser

Edited by dowsp, 09 April 2014 - 07:04 PM.

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Did you defragment you C drive? Peruse this to uninstall flash player completely and reboot your PC. Go here to download and install proper version of Adobe Flash Player for your browsers.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Yes, I did complete the defrag on the C Drive...(You must have missed me mention it)

I am still unsure about adobe Flash player...

As it originally came as included when I installed Google Chrome..as a version 12 and I also had downloaded the plug in Version 12 for IE  but for some reason it does not seem to have worked.

You later found an more updated version 13 and said to download that which I have done and you said it would override version 12 which it appears to have done so....

The version 13 that I downloaded was also a IE version...

So it still made me unsure if that may then not work on google chrome...

BUT it did still work on google chrome BUT Not on IE as it should have done.

I had removed the version 12 plug in...

I wonder if I should have left that on !

I can retry totally uninstalling all adobe and try again...

BUT as a version was with google Chrome initially....I am not sure if this may be the cause of any conflict.

I suppose I could delete google chrome and reinstall that later after seeing if I can get adobe to work on IE first.

It seems to not be an easy solution or made easy by Adobe & google chrome..

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Hi dowsp, :)

Let's halt the flash player problem for now and see if any malwares still present in the system.

• Step #6 Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from the suitable link below --
    • Double-click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • Before clicking Finish perform the following actions --
      • Un-check the box beside Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium.
      • Check the box beside Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    • Once the program has loaded, The MBAM dashboard will appear with an alert to update - click the green button Update Now;
    • Click on Setting--
      • Navigate to the tab Detection and Protection and check all the boxes under Detection Options
    • From the Dashboard click on Scan Now;
    • If threats are detected click on Apply actions. If the program asks to reboot your PC, let it do so;
    • On completion of the scan click on View Detailed Log after that click on Export Button, select Text File and save the log to your Desktop;
    • Copy and Paste the contents of the log in your next reply.

• Step #7 Run ESET Online Scanner

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista / 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the Internet Explorer or Firefox icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
    • Please go here then click on: EOLS1.gif.pagespeed.ce.drf6rgtaCz.gif

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
      All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on:EOLS2.gif.pagespeed.ce.lNUTYf4hmK.gif
    • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
    • Uncheck the box beside Remove Found Threats
    • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
    • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
      • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
      • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
      • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
    • Now click on:EOLS3.gif.pagespeed.ce.KadG-KgShM.gif
    • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
    • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
    • Wait for the scan to finish. Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan. Otherwise it may stall.
    When The Scan is Complete:
    • If No Threats Were Found:
      • Put a checkmark in "Uninstall application on close"
      • Close the program
      • Report to me that nothing was found
    • If Threats Were Found:
      • Click on "list of threats found"
      • Click on "export to text file" and save it to the desktop as ESET SCAN.txt
      • Click on Back
      • Put a checkmark in "Uninstall application on close" (Be sure you have saved the file first)
      • Click on Finish
      • Close the program
      • Copy and paste the report here
    Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

• Required Log(s):
    • Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Log;
    • ESET Scan Log
Regards,
Valinorum

Advertisements

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

I am again a little puzzled...

I have used Malwarebytes twice in the recent weeks on the free version...After the trials ended...I uninstalled the software.

I downloaded the 1st link you gave me for  Malwarebytes...and it seems a different version to the one I previous had downloaded..

yet it does seem to be their correct version and not another company with a similar name or somehow appearing to be them but maybe with a different version or something.

Upon installing the 1st option..it did not have a green button to update...but it updated its self  when I started the scan after following your other instructions..

The previous downloads for Malwarebytes Id used had a quick scan and detailed scan option..

This version just had one scan option...It  scanned very quickly ..quicker than what the quick scan version did on the previous version that I used a few weeks ago...Maybe its down to all the stuff that you helped me delete ie 800 mbs of unwanted files etc  

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Malwarebytes' has updated their program recently hence I asked you to re-download. But if still in doubt, post a screenshot of the program with the logs.

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

I forgot to say that The short scan did not find anything..

I think I will have uninstall this version and to try and find the previous version that I used and try that..It seems a totally different version the one you gave me..

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

I did not realise you just replied...or that they had recently just updated....

That makes me unsure what to think for the time being !     :-)

I will try to follow the other instructions if I can by end of the day..

dowsp

dowsp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts

This is the log file for Malwarebytes..

As I say I am puzzled why this only took 20 mins to scan...that was the time it took for quick scan on the previous version.

A full scan took over an hour...so I dont know if this is a quick scan version only....They don't seem to offer the two options..

or I cannot see it obviously

____________________________-

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 4/12/2014
Scan Time: 2:13:01 PM
Logfile: Malwarebytes April 12th 2014.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.1.1004
Malware Database: v2014.04.11.07
Rootkit Database: v2014.03.27.01
License: Free