Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

I understand that Windows XP will no longer be supported by Microsoft as of April 8th.  How critical is it that I go and purchase a new computer.  If critical and I purchase a new computer how do I transfer programs from my existing computer to the new computer?  Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,014 posts

Hello jbljohn

How old is the present computer, I ask as you may be able to upgrade it to Windows 7 or 8/8.1.

We can advise on transferring your data once it is established what your best option is.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

The computer is a Compaq Presario SR1000Z  - I'm thinking at least five or six years old maybe older.  I would not want to upgrade.  Need to either buy a new computer or continue to use Windows XP.  Your thoughts. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,014 posts

Honest answer is I would purchase a new computer as XP will most likely be the target of the criminal element that use the internet once there are no more security updates from MS.

Just researched your present computer and it could potentially be 9 years old and unable to be upgraded to Windows 7 or 8, specs here

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

You are probably correct.  Specs for a new computer?  I do email, Quicken, Facebook and You Tube.   Was thinking 6mb Memory,  1T hard drive, I-5 Processor.  Thoughts?  Any manufacturers that you would avoid?    

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,014 posts

I would suggest a computer that has 8GB of Ram so that you can get the best of a 64-bit OS + a decent graphics solution so that you can watch HD video without any lag.

No name brands should be avoided as the after sales can be poor other than that most named brands can be considered but I have heard of more than one instance of Dell support not being the best.

If you would like some suggestions making please provide your maximum budget and the country in which you will make the purchase.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Thanks for your help on this!  Hope you have a great day!  I am ready to close this topic but do not know how.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,014 posts

You are most welcome jbljohn  :)

Tech topics are not normally closed as it allows for further input from the OP should it be required at a later time  :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts

Read the article here: Windows XP Isn't Safe to Use Anymore. Here's What to Do Next.

Good information, well presented. No hype or scare tactics, just useful info and good ideas on what to do.