Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Paralyzed - Cannot run any .exe to find Malware - In Tears! [Solve

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

When you log on their should now be two options :

Your normal account

An administrators account

Select the administrator one and create a new user, local account  http://windows.micro...count=windows-8

Advertisements

hunnebuns

hunnebuns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Well, my husband went into the BIOS and my drive does not register.  I am beginning to think my hard drive is bad.  It shows 400MB of space.  hmmm

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

I must admit it is beginning to sound like a drive problem

Have you tried a chkdsk on the drive yet ?

At the command prompt type :

chkdsk c: /r

hunnebuns

hunnebuns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Did the dischk and the command prompt said disk was in use.  I set it to run on restart and it did.  Back in Administrator account and it still does not recognize disk.  This is a 6 month old ASUS notebook.  Weird.  Does a hard drive just go bad?  Weird that I can see the files I own but not open them.  I at least was able to copy them over to my home PC and back them up as well.  I guess it could be worse.  I don't want to waste any more of your time.  I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet and contact ASUS for warranty info.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Definitely something wrong as the Administrator account that you are now using is the system one and as such has full access and powers

Are you able to run system restore, or as a last resort Reset from the admin account

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Did you login as Administrator, not your normal account?

Forget my post, sorry.

hunnebuns

hunnebuns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

No.  Ran everything from the Admin account that you helped me bring to the surface.  I am unable to do restore, refresh or reset.  It just states something went wrong and nothing was changed.  Thank you for all of your patience and help!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Sorry we could not resolve the problem

hunnebuns

hunnebuns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thank you for your time.  And we did figure it out.  :)  It's just not the answer I wanted! 

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements