Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a new laptop

• Please log in to reply

ruKrazy

ruKrazy

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Hello

I need a new laptop I would like something that I won't have to upgrade 2 years from now

i do very little gaming and looking at i5 processor

My price range is approx 500 cdn plus taxes and I live in Canada

If you can give me a list of items I should be looking at to get a very good pc for that kind of money

I have been looking at the microsoft websight but open to any sites or online stores

All assistance very much appreciated

Edited by ruKrazy, 04 April 2014 - 08:41 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello ruKrazy

The best i5 notebook that I could find for your budget here

Your budget was a limiting factor as I would have preferred to be able to suggest a computer that had 8GB of Ram and a 1TB HDD, you can add a second 4GB stick of Ram yourself when the funds are available and consider the purchase of an external USB 1TB HDD for backing up and storing data on, the latter is always a wise option in any event.

ruKrazy

ruKrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Thanks any other options you had would be helpful to get a comparison

What stores should I be looking at

There was a nice del inspiron at the microsoft store on sale but is not in stock price was 499.00

hasn't been in stock for a while what do you think of the microsoft store online ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

No other i5 spec for your budget, alternative comparisons based on other CPUs here

Newegg and TigerDirect (Canada) are a good source.

I have never checked the Microsoft online store for anything other than software, do you have a link to the Dell so that I can see what sort of specs and prices they potentially offer.

ruKrazy

ruKrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the additional info
Here is a link on the dell
http://www.microsoft...uctID.291138200

it's on sale but not in stock not sure if it will be in stock going forward perhaps some sort of loss leader promo

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thanks for the link  :thumbsup:

The Dell would be a good choice if it was available, the specs are almost the same as the notebook that I suggested apart from the extra 2GB of Ram and slightly lower cost.

You are welcome btw  :)

ruKrazy

ruKrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Should I Hold off for a better sale or go with the notebook

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Should I Hold off for a better sale or go with the notebook

Sorry but the final decision is yours to make and I can only provide you with options to consider, out of the two i5 options that we have looked at the Dell (if available) would be a better option, but as I said earlier I would have preferred to have been able to suggest a notebook that had 8GB of Ram, this because it is the sweet spot for a 64-bit OS, if the Dell has a 4GB stick and a 2GB stick of Ram inserted you would be able to sell the 2GB stick to recoup some of the cash that you would pay for the second 4GB stick.

The claimed 7 hour battery life of the Dell is also very good, it does say however;

*Based on Dell Lab testing. Battery life varies by configuration, operating conditions, and other factors. Maximum battery capacity decreases with time and use.

ruKrazy

ruKrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Sorry guys I had to hold off on this purchase as I needed the money for car repairs

Unfortuntely the deal above has come and gone and I missed taking advantage of it

Can you help me with another similar deal

I can add 50 bucks or more so 550 plus tax is my max budget

Looking at an 15 processor don't do much gaming mostly homework and small projects

All input apprecieated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

The i5 requirement is a limiting factor for your budget but worth a look is the Acer Aspire here

ruKrazy

ruKrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

HI Thanks for your help

Is there anything that is not touch screen don't really like touch screen

is there a big difference in performance between and i3 and i5 processor?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

i3 is entry level and i5 CPUs are middle to high level.

Consider an AMD based notebook over an i3 as you will get more bang for your buck.