Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a partition manager to do these things...

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I wish to divide my single 500GB  C drive into two parts so that I can keep XP on one and put Windows 7 on the other. (How can I boot into the choice? -possible?)

Also on another computer I wish to shrink the D partition (of backup stuff) releasing 7 GB to merge into the C partition. Now I can do the shrinking but that puts the 7 GB into another partition to the right of D which cannot be merged with C as it is not contiguous which seems to be the case with the managers I've tried - Easeus, PartitionMagic.

Perhaps these operations are impossible?

Thanks for advice.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Can you post a screenshot of Easeus Partition Manager showing the disk layout?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thanks for responding  - well not now as I'm on another computer.  But I think it's quite clear viz.

Partition C (MBR) is 22GB partially used. Next is D of 10GB of which 3GB (from the beginning)  has backups, the rest empty. I want that empty 7 GB merged with the C partition as C is quite small, 30GB. The screenshot will show this.

If I shrink the D to 3GB say, the 7 GB is placed to the right of D in another partition not contiguous with C  It seems impossible to merge that 7 GB to C unless someone knows how.

What about moving, somehow, that 3GB backup stuff to the far end of D so that the empty is contiguous to C and merging just the 7 GB leaving the 3 GB behind?

Any ideas?

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Perhaps I should just delete that 3GB or save it somewhere and then just merge what I want into C. This seems the best way - should have thought of this easy way before!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I suspect you could have Primary and Extended partitions on the mix and that's probably why you can't add the free space to the partition you want. The screenshot could eventually clarify that...

Not all the programs handle the Extended partitions correctly.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

When I get to it I'll post a screenshot.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

When I get to it I'll post a screenshot.

Ok.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

The Partition Screenshot file is too large to attach - it's 4.61 MB and altho 5MB can be uploaded it needs Flash 9 whatever that is.

However what I'll do is to copy or delete those backup files and merge D to C simply. Problem solved. insha'allah.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Problem not solved!!  Looking at the contents of those D files they include some Windows installer stuff, Java, Adobe, Cinema, Tools, Driver etc., etc. so these must be used for recovery or reset to factory conditions altho Partiton E I thought was for all that procedure.  So I shouldn't mess with them I think.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Problem not solved!!  Looking at the contents of those D files they include some Windows installer stuff, Java, Adobe, Cinema, Tools, Driver etc., etc. so these must be used for recovery or reset to factory conditions altho Partiton E I thought was for all that procedure.  So I shouldn't mess with them I think.

Hi,

In that case it's probably not good idea to mess with the Partitions unless you first create the Recovery Disks that some manufactures allow you to create. The Recovery Disks can be used to restore the machine to a factory state even if you remove all the partitions or install a new hard drive for example.

Can you post the Brand and Model of the machine? Is this a Desktop or Laptop?

Advertisements

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

The laptop is a Medion MIM 2080 MD95766.

I have the Operating System Installation CD XP Home SP2 and an Application & Support Disk. I have also come across a note now this morning that I have made a full disk image in 2013 which must be on my 750 GB external drive! So it seems I'm covered OK.

(It's my PC which has the 500 GB HD, the laptop has only 40 GB.

I'll meditate on what I'll do about this now I am much clearer on the situation.

So thanks SleepyDude for your attention on my concerns, much appreciated.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

The Partition Screenshot file is too large to attach - it's 4.61 MB and altho 5MB can be uploaded it needs Flash 9 whatever that is.

However what I'll do is to copy or delete those backup files and merge D to C simply. Problem solved. insha'allah.

You can upload the image to a site like tinypic.com/ and include the image link in your post.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

That's interesting - I'll try that when I'm on my laptop - thanks.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Uploading with tinypic.com failed.

Since last time I have moved that empty  7 GB out of D and is now sitting separately as a logical unallocated partition to the right of C but I cannot merge it with C as the manager has no Merge button when I select it or it is not listed if I select C for merging to D

That 7 GB.is labeled with a * . Trying 'Create a partition' by right clicking that * partition so I can the logical to primary and assigning a partition letter and pressing OK just exits the whole program!!

So I'm not that far forward!

I've spent too much time on this so I'll give it a rest until I feel like tacking it again.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Did you take a picture of the full screen or only the program window?

Is the D: partition Logical or Primary?